IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

Dennis is right, it would take $300 to have 100 made at http://www.allaboutpins.com . I am going to get a quote and revisit this forum later, maybe 100 wouldn't be so bad...

I think most people that want an original 5spd. shift knob - want an accurate reproduction of the original plastic shift map. The "Cloisonne" technique would not fill that bill.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

I agree with you about the emblems and the preference of 5 speed emblem, I am working on both as original to the 240Z.

On getting the the metal shift emblems made-I have some samples I could photograph/measure/loan if needed. The following is just a quick reference photo for what I have in metal.

post-4106-14150820773165_thumb.jpg

Ps I didn't comment on the links to the ebay fodder because every Z deserves better than any of those...

Edited by hls30.com

I got to playing with the eBay picture of the 5 speed shift pattern and drew a pattern on top of the picture after compensating for the eBay picture angle and distortion by using sketchup and paintbush app, a lengthy procedure for me. The result is the attached printable 5 speed shift pattern. I set the pixels per inch at 559 to make the whole picture print 1 inch wide so it should print close to the correct size but if not adjust the pixels per inch. With a Mac the preview app will do this by clicking on the tools tab, then adjust size, then set the pixels per inch to a larger number to make the printed pattern smaller. I feel sure this is easy with Windows though I am ignorant of how to do that. If someone gives me the exact inches or mm size of the shift pattern from a real shift knob by measuring from the middle of the circle on one side to the middle of it on the other I will repost with the correct pixels per inch. I did have trouble finding an exact match for the font Datsun used so if someone knows what would be more accurate let me know.

post-18366-14150820781366_thumb.jpg

You do know that pattern was not offered on the Z as it was sold?

Several sellers/vendors "conglomerate facts" to fit their parts-Using Nissan replacement parts that happen to fit, but were never actually used on the Z-and include verbage to make you think they were-usually they also include the model that the part actually came on and lump it with Z models to distort the actual truth of the ad, but add an element of truth as an out if called on the entire statement as a bold faced fabrication: It may well be true a particulate shift knob was original to a Nissan Sunny, but it is equally true that same knob was never original to a Z car.

Several Ebay sellers/Vendors also play games using NOS and OEM. While a part may be both NOS and OEM, they may be neither relative to a Z. Despite the background in one of the linked vendor-offered ebay shift knobs, the part pictured was never a Z part though it might well be NOS and OEM to something other than a Z. Another ebay seller specializing in Z parts offers a NOS OEM Gas cap from a BMW as "a Must for your restoration" knowing his cap is NOT a Nissan/Datsun, let alone a Z part!

Let an original Parts Catalog/microfiche be your guide-not a seller/vendor with more to gain from your buying in to their blurb. Sometimes a seller accepts verbage from a questionable vendor as fact and unknowingly perpetuated the misinformation. Vendors who really want to sell the right parts will always be either a Nissan Dealer, or list the complete, correct, and verifiable part number for what they are selling-but don't make the mistake of thinking just because they posted a part number-or partial part number it is the right one for the part they are selling.

The patterns I pictured plus a 5 speed version with concentric circles are the only ones original to the 240Z 260Z and 280Z-though the concentric circle versions were also available in reverse painted plastic as well-the painted plastic variety are the ones I am working on.

Edited by hls30.com

I think most people that want an original 5spd. shift knob - want an accurate reproduction of the original plastic shift map. The "Cloisonne" technique would not fill that bill.

Carl, the insert in the original plastic knob was produced using the Cloisonne technique, look at hls30.com's picture attachments. If I were going to have them made, they would have to be a match for the original. The actual knob material would be the sticking point - I went with wood because I thought it was a nicer touch. To each his own.

hls30.com,

Thank you for the great clarification. The 71 240Z I sold 27 years ago had a light color wood shift knob with a 4 spd pattern. I would like to put a similar wood shift knob in the 240Z I have now except it has a 5 speed and the 5 speed knobs are naugahyde/leather. Do you know Where can I see a picture of a knob with the 5 spd concentric circle pattern that was also available?

Captain Obvious,

I would enjoy seeing a closeup of the shift pattern you have, straight on if possible to minimize perspective distortion in case I have any luck making a drawing out of it. Do they change color with age so they were originally all red and have now a mottled two tones of red with a bright red and a duller red?