IGNORED

DIY: How to Recover Your Z Seats - LOTS OF PICTURES

Hardway

On 4/25/2024 at 10:47 PM, davewormald said:

There was a thin sheet of plastic covering the foam of the seat back. It seemed to be professionally made to fit the seat, but I don't know whether it was something that came from the factory. It was a little worse for wear, but I was able to reuse it.

A dry-cleaner's bag works nicely.  Just slip it over the entire seat back and trim to length.  Makes it much easier to install the new seat cover.  A bit of talc powder can also be used to assist.

• Like 2

Quick diversionary question... The tilt adjust knobs on the early cars should be facing each other on the inboard center console side, and not on the outboard sides by the doors, right?

In other words, this would be a right side seat, correct? And the left side seat would be a mirror image? :
image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Quick diversionary question... The tilt adjust knobs on the early cars should be facing each other on the inboard center console side, and not on the outboard sides by the doors, right?

In other words, this would be a right side seat, correct? And the left side seat would be a mirror image? :
image.jpeg

Correct.  Adjustment dials to the center.  I lost the center cap/cover on one of mine and my son made a 3D printed replacement.

9 hours ago, psdenno said:

Correct.  Adjustment dials to the center.

Gotcha, thanks.

So that indicates an issue for me.... Someone in the past has replaced my LH seat with a RH seat. Probably because the original LH seat was worn and it was simpler / easier to find an un-worn RH seat (in the US).

So now it sounds like I should find a LH seat.   :ermm:

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You do not need to replace the entire seat back and bottom, just obtain LH side brackets and sliders.  (Note, the seat belt hook mounting screw hole would have to be drilled in the left (outer) side of the seat back.)

Keith

Edited by zed2
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 10:57 AM, Captain Obvious said:

In other words, this would be a right side seat, correct? And the left side seat would be a mirror image?

Correct.  And just confirmed c/o Parts Manual, which shows distinct PN's for the LH and RH 'slide assembly with lever'.  These are mirror images of one another, such that the lever's shaft runs along the inboard length of each seat and the lever arm points outboard on both (makes it convenient to operate for right-handed drivers of LHD cars, but not so good for left-handers like me).

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, zed2 said:

Did you install the clear plastic protector between the seat side brackets and the upholstery

I did.  The originals, although intact, were stiff and discoloured. I found some clear vinyl sheet of suitable thickness and made new ones, using the old protectors as templates.

seat vinyl protectors.jpg

Edited by Namerow
add photo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Namerow said:

Correct.  And just confirmed c/o Parts Manual, which shows distinct PN's for the LH and RH 'slide assembly with lever'.  These are mirror images of one another, such that the lever's shaft runs along the inboard length of each seat and the lever arm points outboard on both (makes it convenient to operate for right-handed drivers of LHD cars, but not so good for left-handers like me).

I always considered that the seat adjustment handles were located inboard and angled out so they wouldn't snag clothing on those exiting the car.  If they were on the outside rail and angled inward, they would hook coats, long dresses (of which there were few in 1971), and anything dangling during driver or passenger egress.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 6:53 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Gotcha, thanks.

So that indicates an issue for me.... Someone in the past has replaced my LH seat with a RH seat. Probably because the original LH seat was worn and it was simpler / easier to find an un-worn RH seat (in the US).

Here is a pair of seat side brackets:

IMG_0085.png

Keith