IGNORED

Updates to the ZCCA Car Show Judging Rules

TomoHawk

This has been a very interesting and enlightening conversation. A couple of questions I have are, what doors, access panels, etc., are expected to be open when presenting a car in Stock Class? In addition to the owners manual, I also have the original radio operations manual, warantee booklet and card, and consumers guidelines booklet which all came with my car.
IMO, those things are cool, but not required. I think I'd keep them , or maybe lay them in the back, but there should be some announcements or handouts in your information packet if you are required to disconnect the battery, or anything like that.

AFAIK, in stock class they check everything, so everything should be opened, but only when required. Hood & hatch can be opened right away, for spectating, but the doors & glove box need to be opened only during judging. Usually there is enough room to open the doors fully without hitting anything, but be aware anyway.

Wow, this ZCCA judging thing has got me a little intimidated now. I will be subjecting my car to its’ very first ZCCA judges in a couple weeks and am wondering how I will fair. In spite of having my car judged in a number of shows, this will probably be the first time that it will be judged by someone that really knows what he is looking at. After reading this, I feel like a need a coach to walk me through some of the finer points. And, I am sure that I will forget to put my owners’ manual in the glove box and whatever else is supposed to be in there…or not in there. Just seems like there is a lot to consider. Will have to print out that ZCCA judging manual.

In reading through the thread though, I would say my only concern might be if a judge would want to sit in the interior of my car to review the dash, glove box, etc. The vinyl on those seats is over 42 years old and I would hate for something to get torn or ripped in the process. (Personally, when I sit in the car I usually lower myself straight down and raise straight up when entering and exiting, for fear a twisting action might tear the material….have I mentioned my anal retentiveness before?) Anyway, I would not be too concerned about anything else but the seats.

Thanks for starting the thread and the comments. It has put me on ‘heightened alert’.

Best regards,

Rich

It is VERY difficult to get to Gold Medallion status (290 points or better). I have tried at the last 2 Conventions - Nashville and Savannah - and not attained that status. I had the highest point total in my class those 2 years but not the required 290 points. I am lucky to have gnosez close by and he has coached me on many of the things that I needed to do. I think I have a perfect or near perfect car and they STILL found stuff wrong. It's an immpressive award so it's not given out like candy....you really have to earn it. Keep the judges handbook close by and cover all the areas they will be looking at....then go back and do it agian and then go back and then do it agian and then go back................ 2013 will be my year....I hope!!!

It is VERY difficult to get to Gold Medallion status (290 points or better). I have tried at the last 2 Conventions - Nashville and Savannah - and not attained that status. I had the highest point total in my class those 2 years but not the required 290 points. I am lucky to have gnosez close by and he has coached me on many of the things that I needed to do. I think I have a perfect or near perfect car and they STILL found stuff wrong. It's an immpressive award so it's not given out like candy....you really have to earn it. Keep the judges handbook close by and cover all the areas they will be looking at....then go back and do it agian and then go back and then do it agian and then go back................ 2013 will be my year....I hope!!!

Thanks for the support. I am really not expecting gold medallion status, I just want to point well. My paint, interior, bumpers, hubcaps, carpet and 99% of all the other parts are 42 years old with almost 98K miles. It’s all in very decent condition but will never compete with a fully restored vehicle. It would be nice to have a coach as you noted. Jay (espirit) has helped me with a number items at some of the shows, but not sure if he will be at this show. Also, there is only so much I can do without altering the originality of the car. Too bad there are no points for age, or original items. Anyway, I am looking forward to the experience and am sure I will have a great time in Phoenix.

Best regards,

Rich

The best direction I can give for all classes is: Does everything look new? If it doesn't, make it look new-no dirt, wear, scratches, sticky, except where it was when new-in the stock class. If you are in the stock class, you have to look like new upto 40 years ago, in any other class, it just has to look new. When in doubt re-clean/paint/burnish/polish.

Phoenix will be a great time-Gregg and Jack and their team are seriously on the ball and ready! The plans are amazing, the area is unfreakin'believeable-the Nissan Test Track...Really!

Rich, your car will be a hit with everyone there-regardless of any score in the show-remember everyone shows up because they love ZCars! if a stock original 240Z ain't the definition of Z DNA I don't know what is!

Hey! I'm sorry I let this one get away before responding. I saw the first post and decided not to spend any time responding. Hate to sound like a horse's arse but if the author of this thread actually read the ZCCA Judging Rules, he wouldn't be asking these questions and whining as though he has some entitlement to an award. Or worse, suggesting that the rules be modified in his favor. The ZCCA Judging Rules clearly discuss judging protocol and procedure. The chapters about judging organization have been in place for many years and several edits. Everyone knows the rules, the procedures during a ZCCA car show. Well....everyone who reads. Hate to discriminate against illiterate classic sports car owners. I would think that if you owned an expensive sports car and planned to show it at a car show, you would be inclined to familiarize yourself with the rules and procedures. I'm sorry for the rest of you who commented on what is an errant premiss. I'll bet your question or observation is mentioned in the rules somewhere.

post-2127-14150820147892_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of ZCCA's finest judges hard at work. Keep in mind the ZCCA judges are Z people as well so I have never found them not be respectful of your Z. Sure there may be an exception but that has not been the rule. Picky yes they are and rightfully so. If you have ever attended a Corvette NCRS judging you would realize how strict other marque judging can be.

Here are some items to keep in mind as any of these can cost you that critical point that keeps you from earning the award you are seeking. Paint runs, chips, wrong or discolored plating, dirt, dust, wrong nuts bolts or screws, peeling or frayed decals, worn pedal pads, flaws in the chrome, oil or grease leaks etc. I could go on and on. The point has already been stated a couple of times to use the rules as you guide. Take the judging sheets and go over each item and be critical. If there is a flaw most likely the judges will find it!

Entering a car in a stock class is the most difficult category to compete in. Good luck to all

post-2127-1415082014688_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of ZCCA's finest judges hard at work. Keep in mind the ZCCA judges are Z people as well so I have never found them not be respectful of your Z.
Letting the nametage hang loose is respectful of the car? It should be removed or held or pinned against the chest, or something like that. A loose nametag could make contact with the paint.