IGNORED

SU Oil Consumption

Jetaway

My point above was...... if the puck is in oil with the piston in the down position, who cares how much oil is above it? Real easy deal, with the engine shut off, unscrew the cap and lift the rod and puck. If the puck comes out wet with oil then guess what, there is enough in there to do the job. the moment the piston lifts, it going to bring oil up with it.

Maybe the next question ought to be what does the level do, say after 500 or a thousand miles? Does it keep dropping or does it reach a point where there isn't suffiicient vacuum in the dome to continue pulling oil up out of the tube and the level stabilizes? The oil gets sucked into the engine and burnt (let's call it top end lube) and it has to go over the top of the tube.

Film at 11. See ya all later......

My point above was...... if the puck is in oil with the piston in the down position, who cares how much oil is above it? Real easy deal, with the engine shut off, unscrew the cap and lift the rod and puck. If the puck comes out wet with oil then guess what, there is enough in there to do the job. the moment the piston lifts, it going to bring oil up with it.

Maybe the next question ought to be what does the level do, say after 500 or a thousand miles? Does it keep dropping or does it reach a point where there isn't suffiicient vacuum in the dome to continue pulling oil up out of the tube and the level stabilizes? The oil gets sucked into the engine and burnt (let's call it top end lube) and it has to go over the top of the tube.

Captain Obvious's reply got my problem exactly right.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. That by checking the oil level, I'm dragging up a plug of oil that pools on top of the "puck" and that is what is causing the loss? If so, no. I can fill to the top fill line, screw the cap back on, drive 500 -- 800 miles, unscrew the cap and the oil level will be near, at, or below the lowest fill line. At the same time, the engine becomes a little rough and sluggish, while the idle wanders a bit and will eventually go into a death spiral unless I intervene. I also would, had it ever threatened to occur, made sure that I wasn't globbing oil up out of the well to spill -- somewhere; down the outside of the chamber, I guess.

As I wrote way back in the initial post, I'm using straight 20 weight motor oil per FSM.

Chris

Captain Obvious's reply got my problem exactly right.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. That by checking the oil level, I'm dragging up a plug of oil that pools on top of the "puck" and that is what is causing the loss? If so, no. I can fill to the top fill line, screw the cap back on, drive 500 -- 800 miles, unscrew the cap and the oil level will be near, at, or below the lowest fill line. At the same time, the engine becomes a little rough and sluggish, while the idle wanders a bit and will eventually go into a death spiral unless I intervene. I also would, had it ever threatened to occur, made sure that I wasn't globbing oil up out of the well to spill -- somewhere; down the outside of the chamber, I guess.

As I wrote way back in the initial post, I'm using straight 20 weight motor oil per FSM.

Chris