IGNORED

Change original color ?

SteveLeBlanc

The very first car I ever owned was a gift from my parents...A 1972 240z ; White w Red and had Auto and AC.

I have just acquired a 1972 with 78,000 mi from the original owner...it has Red interior with Auto and AC but is Silver Grey original paint.

My feeling is I would love to paint it White to sort of have my first car. Good or bad idea ? Am I destroying the value ?

Speaking as one who changed my Zs color at one time, and then changed it back, I wouldn't change the color. Other than the obvious need to also change the engine compartment color, under hood color, door and hatch jams, floors, tool bins, and a few other hard to reach places in order for it to look like it was meant to be that way, in my case, it wasn't a wise decision.

After a few years, I went back to the original color and am much more content. On the other hand, it's your car and you can do whatever it takes to make you happy. That's what Zs are all about.

Dennis

:laugh:Silver is a beautiful color on a Z...........it's much easier to keep the original color. If you're going to take the time to complete the job as mentioned above..... go for it. Otherwise save time and money keeping it original. Go find a white car to add to the silver car and impress the wife.:laugh:

Edited by Diseazd

My first Z was a 1973 White / Red 240. Loved that car when I was a kid in the 70's. Fast forward today and I've had 4 different Z Cars - this last one being a Red/Orange coloration - at first I really thought to repaint the Z white - but I decided to stick with the original color - I am glad I did. White is a fantastic color but the original color is what I would stick with.......IMO.

post-14147-14150819917144_thumb.jpg

My advice is to drive the car for awhile because it will grow on you. I do like white and was lucky enough to buy one in that colour. However I had orange on the previous 240Z and grew to like that just as much.

Seeing a different colour in the engine bay, under carpets etc to the external body colour is never a good look in my opinion. I feel it does devalue the car a little and if I had a choice between two similar cars I would choose the one which still has the original colour. However if you completely strip it and do a ground up rebuild then that is another story.

My first 240z was a hand me down in the early 80s from my dad who put about 150k on it during the 70s- a white with red 72 automatic. Loved that car.

Regarding your question- for me it depends. First, you should do what makes you happy. Pragmatically, however, I would consider the condition of the original silver paint in the areas other than the visible exterior. If the engine bay, door sills, interior floors, rear interior deck, hatch areas, etc are all in great original silver condition and you are planning on masking and painting the exterior then I would really consider leaving the car silver. If you are going to disassemble the car, remove the engine, restore the suspension, etc then I would paint it all white- sills, interior, engine bay, everything.

Most of all, enjoy.