IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

The Lime Green Z...much of what was done still augments the original style of the car-which I like-where that deviates is where it looses me. If that was my version of perfection it would be what was in my garage-that does not mean I don't like it, don't think it is beautiful, or don't respect the effort that went in to building it-I do on all accounts! It simply means I don't like it enough to have built it. It looks well thought out and executed, it is just not as I would have built it.

I have already said my ideal is to make upgrades blend into the car to the point they are completely overlooked until they are actually put to use.

Guys, don't make me get grumpy...post what you think the thread is for, if you are wrong, as the Original Poster and the Moderator, I will let you know by "being Polite until it is time not to be polite"

Will

I don't mind related deviation, it can bring more to a thread than it had, but keep the egos in check to the point of keeping this a polite exchange of ideas and leave the policing and refocussing of content to me.

No one has mentioned the proper stance on this car, the tire size and wheels that enhances the look or takes it away. What about the use of after market gauges. The proper steering wheel. The proper muffler tip.
OK, so what is your opinion on those things? What would it take to negate Zness?

Taking it personally.......have you seen the ton of insults on this thread and you as moderator did zip.Please be just and treat ALL members in the same manner. Also please respond to my PM,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks. Lee

Feel free to report any post where you feel you are being insulted. Realize that we may not agree.

Do remember that it is impossible for us to moderate the thread or forum to your specific likes as it seems that you have been the primary instigator in some of these exchanges. In some cases it is apparent that you choose to see an "insult" when someone disagrees with you. That is your choice to make and deal with accordingly, but understand that we're not prepared to shield you from your decisions.

You brought up the concept of a "Turdymobile", which has offended several members.

Any responses to that concept that you find objectionable are of your own decision making, you opened the door to them by the concept you proposed. That you choose to mistreat your vehicle is again, your choice. Don't expect others to agree with your choices.

Your concept of fairness/justness is not what we moderate by. If you insult, deride, and otherwise annoy the other members, as you have been doing, then expect to have it handed back. If you do not like what you are receiving, then stop shelling it out to others.

We won't allow them to insult you directly, nor allow you to do it to them either. You should also be aware that the "inuendo" type of insult is pretty much recognizable as an insult and as such will be dealt with as a direct insult.

You have insisted on pushing your enthrallment with the uniqueness of your vehicle. Allow others to choose to disagree. From the posts here and in other threads it has annoyed many members. The replies on this thread speak volumes, and it isn't the majority that seems to be in error. Your vehicle is special to you, accept that others may not be enthralled and may even be appalled at what you have. That is their right. You're very upfront with pointing out what you feel "destroys" the "sexy lines" of the Z, to the point of insulting others and then demanding that they NOT insult you.

Your car is modified, yet you are extremely critical of other people's modifications, to the tune of repeating it ad nauseum. This site is primarily for the Classic Z that has not been as modified as yours is. While we can and do share the love of Z's with those that have changed / modified / modernized their Z as yours is, you won't find the kind of acceptance that you demand, and especially when you demand, cajole and otherwise annoy everyone here.

Hybrid-Z may be a better forum for you. There you will find others that have also done a V8 transplant and love to discuss it.

You should be aware though, that they are even more strict about what they do and don't allow to be posted.

It may be that you have already been there and that is why you are here.

If you feel that you can no longer participate in this thread or forum without continuing to insult, denigrate, deride and otherwise annoy the other members, then please desist from reading and contributing anything further to it.

If on the other hand you choose to continue to participate; if necessary-- agree to disagree, avoid argumentative posts and please abide by the forum rules.

E Scanlon

Let me bump in................what about that lime green Z,,,,,,,,,no one has mention the Z or not in that super sexy ,no money object car. No one has mention the proper stance on this cars, the tire size and wheels that enhances the look or takes it away. What about the use of after market gauges. The proper steering wheel .The proper muffler tip. Come on Z lover lets do the forum thing ;)

Rewind......me bad there is a type horror,,,,,,THESE CARS (not this cars) so the first line is for the lime Z, the rest of the lines are for the Z's in general.

I have responded to the above statement, and the post has been deleted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike is aware on the personal issue that is the key for this action.'''''''''''''''''''' BTW on the Ebay posts Mr Beck is a regular participant and others as well. Yes I critic what most consider bad taste..........The ''turdymobile/beater Z'' term was shared by others with no remorse. Also the above quote by me has been modified , the one in blue liner on that large post by EScanlon. The site you mention is for builders/hands on work, my current Z is a done car.

Edited by 72 OJ

I go to bed and what surprise do I get to step past this morning...

Play nice and stay on topic! Most members know to turn to TNT for Drama, they don't look for or want it in our threads-and as the battle field above shows neither do our Mods or Site Owner.

What do you guys think about alternative finishing on OEM Parts as modifications ?

What about replacing perfectly good oem parts with Billet Aluminum?

What do you guys think about alternative finishing on OEM Parts as modifications ?

What about replacing perfectly good oem parts with Billet Aluminum?

Repainting or chroming OEM alternator brackets don't really bother me, nor does the addition of billet door lock poppers, strut braces, valve caps or any other bobbles and doo-dads, as long as you do it tastefully. Whenever I read a thread like this I always remember "The Klingon", the guy that welded a hood to the roof of his car, YIKES. Some ideas look good in the minds eye but make the other two sore if you get my drift.

In my recent fight to rid my car once and for all of it's vapor lock issues (successfully) I added a 3" cowl induction hood. I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks bad, but I liked the stock hood look much better. I can justify the mod by saying, "The hood was damaged anyway and the intent of the modification, to ventilate the engine compartment, was a success." Did it improve the looks of the car? Not to me....Did it improve the performance? Defiantly.

Modifying, replacing, or upgrading wearable items with a more durable version makes sense to me, and doesn't have an overall negative effect on the car. While I don't particularly care for billet aluminum for some things (steering wheels come to mind), replacing door latch components or links that hold on the accessories (even the fuel rail) is fine by me.

Many members have upgraded their alternators from externally regulated to internally. While some have done so for the added juice, others have simply done so to remove a common fault area. It's a logical change that betters the performance of the car, without changing the overall nature of the car.

Same notion can be applied when it comes to switching from a points distributor to the later model.

Edited by zbane

I like similar if not original finishes-polished carbs, intake, and valve cover do look better that a dirty set, but then having them clean, matching, and uniformly media blasted looks good to. Painted carbs and heads-yuk unless preped correctly and painted carefully. I don't really care for too much color under the hood-I have gone so far as to paint colored plug wires to get them black...metallic silver and black-enev in several shades looks good to me.