IGNORED

Redid My Tension Compression Rod Bushings Today

So the advantage here with half rubber is soft razor like handling?
My client wants a cruiser so I am keeping everything rubber. For me I considered going halfsies- but rubber on the forward side to help soften the ride over bad roads .
All in theory I guess, so I won't know until I try. Anymore I am seeking refinement in my ride, so might go back all rubber

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club

Honestly, I did it that way because John Mortensen said so.

I'm not a suspension guy, but I believe the theory is that you can still get some of the "crispness" benefits of the poly bushing but you don't snap your T/C rods off like some of the folks running full poly on the rods. And except when you're in reverse, I don't think there is any advantage to rubber up front and poly in the back. (Remember to consider the lack of my credentials however.)

I know it's subjective, but I do not find my ride harsh in any way. My PO put poly everywhere and I've taken most of it out. All of the moving suspension components (with the exception of the front bushing on the T/C rods) are now rubber. I've still got poly on the steering rack, on the rear trans mount cross member, and on the mustache bar. I've got KYB strut inserts all around.

Maybe it's just that I compare my car now to how it was when I bought it. It was a disaster when I first got it. It's light years better now than it was. I'm running stock size and profile tires and also have comfy Fiero seats... Might be contributors as well?

I think you should pop on over and take my car out for a drive and see what you think.  :)

Can you update your location?  Just to shrink the member map?  Welcome back.

Urethane on the back puts a strong side load on the rod tip as the suspension moves.  Probably why the factory rubber has the odd mushroom shape, it serves a purpose.  Many T/C rods have broken after fatiguing (my opinion, mine did) with urethane on the back. 

New rubber on both sides would probably give a fine ride.  Many of us are probably going too far in replacing 30 year old rubber with urethane.

Blue.PNG

I think all the origional T/C rods are past their service life. They were flimsy to start out with.

If you put them on a flat surface and roll them many are bent. I took mine off and into the dumpster.

I went aftermarket. I will suffer the ride aspect. But no longer will ever put that old fatigued steel

on my car for such a critical item.

10 hours ago, madkaw said:

So the advantage here with half rubber is soft razor like handling?
My client wants a cruiser so I am keeping everything rubber. For me I considered going halfsies- but rubber on the forward side to help soften the ride over bad roads .
All in theory I guess, so I won't know until I try. Anymore I am seeking refinement in my ride, so might go back all rubber

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club

I built an early 71 Z for a friend and he liked the ride quality when he brought it to me so he wanted to stick with the original style rubber bushings all around. When I took the car apart I discovered that all of the bushings were urethane. Since he was happy with the ride quality before the build we decided to keep the urethane. Just thought that I'd throw that out there...

Chuck