IGNORED

My Datsun Spirit L28 Build.

Excellent thread, sir, thanks again for posting this. I have truly enjoyed following your progress, and felt your pain after what you just went through with the tranny. I had no idea that could happen in transit. Duly noted...

One side note with regard to using the original (brass) radiator vs. a new aluminum one. When I was driving my newly purchased 280Z home to Chicago from LA last year, the original (I believe) radiator started leaking pretty badly just after I crossed the Kansas border, basically a steady stream pouring out of the driver's side toward my AFM. It was 3:30pm on a Tuesday and the nearest radiator shop was 40 miles back down the highway in the wrong direction. But with half a shaker of ground black pepper (seriously, the radiator guy suggested this and it held), I was able to make it back there with no more leaking. And the only reason it could be repaired was because it was an older brass radiator. The guy who fixed it (Alex's Radiator in Goodland, KS) was pretty impressed once he filled the hole and 6 cracks, and said it held 80psi now and should cool even better.

At any rate, the old ones are repairable, at least. And I've had no cooling issues since. Didn't have any before that, either, but the car had sat for so long, a driveway coolant change before I set out just wasn't able to get all the funk out. Needed a pressure blast...

Looking forward to your upcoming posts!!

I found a place to rot out my old radiator to ensure it is in good working condition. I am keeping that in my back pocket. I already paid money for this new shiny radiator. I sort of want to use it.

Tonight I have to get the engine and transmission back in the car. That is the plan anyway. Then I can get the starter and alternator wired up.

After that it is on to the exhaust and intake side. That should be a good time. Pics to follow.

I went through the EXACT same situation with my transmission. I got it all prepped... put it in and it wouldn't shift into a few gears. Pulled it, pushed a rod in and was good to go, then had the 'loveliest' time getting the transmission back in.

7561459030_64811b7333_b.jpg

Well I am finally done back tracking after my tranny hiccup. So here we are with the engine back in. I am pleased with the radiator fit now. I also hookedup the lower hose, the alternator, and I am redoing some wire looms now to make it look new. I hate shoddy wiring bundles. Tonight is going to be a long night, as I want to get most of the interior and accessories installed.

I will be dropping off my exhaust to get the O2 fitting welded in today at lunch.

Progress marches on.

Stephen,

I'm in Houston and about to undertake a similar project on my 72 240Z. i spoke to Datsun Spirit about some parts and/or an overhaul - it sounds like you have been happy with them, so far? I might also be interested in some of your parts from your L24, including the carbs, intake and tube, if available. I'm not trying to cut in front of others, if they are already spoken for.

Either way, congratulations on your project....it sure looks nice.

So you would advise that when I go to swap in my turbo motor, I pull the old motor with the transmission and bolt up my new motor to my old trans and slide them back in together? I was going to leave my transmission in..