IGNORED

getting more HP in 78 280z

Depends on the carbs. You'll have a bit more wiggle-room in terms of cost and IMO, carbs provide the performance that some EFI setups can't.

I planned on adding MSA headers, either twice pipes or just single 2.5" (whichever is better) and maybe bigger throttle body. Would carbs be any advantage over FI?

I planned on adding MSA headers, either twice pipes or just single 2.5" (whichever is better) and maybe bigger throttle body. Would carbs be any advantage over FI?

:rolleyes: None of those are better than a proper tune-up.

A tune up is planned before any of these mods

Okay, then perform the tune up and see how it feels. I can have plenty of fun with a stock L24, let alone an L28. The things that make the biggest differences in driveability are not engine-related, IMO. First thing I'd do is a 3.9 or numerically higher rear diff and a late ZX 5-speed. Those changes wake the car up, more than bolting in little bits to the engine, especially if it's stock EFI. Tires are also on the list of things that completely transform the car. Invest in those things first, after a tune-up.

Refer to Braap's fairly comprehensive post on modifying an engine with stock EFI: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/95316-braaps-l6-efi-induction-advice-and-tips/

Im mostly just hoping that at a red light i can take off faster than the next guy

I see. We're playing the ego game.

If Mr. Jones has a Ford GT or a 911 Turbo, you don't really stand a chance no matter what you do. This is not a wise goal or specification in a build.

Im mostly just hoping that at a red light i can take off faster than the next guy

Here's how you achieve the same thing for free: If some guy is revving his engine, looking for a race, just give his car a look-over from front to back, if it's a nice one, give him a nod to compliment him, then draw a deep, relaxed breath, turn up your radio, and when the light turns green, don't race. Just be satisfied that your car is cooler than his, even though it might not be faster. 'Nuff said.

Why not take your car to the local drag strip or auto-x where you don't have to worry about getting a ticket or running over someone?

Chuck