IGNORED

Tuning 40 DCOE Weber 151 on an L24

I would agree with everything Leon said but one thing... My Z is about 90% street use. If I could, I would reverse that number but alas, I still have a 15 year old at home so I have to keep working...

Stephan, I suspect there is a market for your slightly used jets? I have some 50F9's in my box of used jets...

I would agree with everything Leon said but one thing... My Z is about 90% street use. If I could, I would reverse that number but alas, I still have a 15 year old at home so I have to keep working...

Stephan, I suspect there is a market for your slightly used jets? I have some 50F9's in my box of used jets...

Ah, that's right! It was Bill that said he exclusively tracks his Z. Ooops!

Any of you Mikuni guys who have been following this thread, Silverstreak (Bill) dropped off his Mikunis at Keith Franck's place today and his initial comment on Sidedraft-Central is that it appears that Mikuni just copied the Weber design on tubing and jets and such. What I take from that comment is that he believes he can improve them... Exciting news for you guys!

Keep the info flowing - my setup is dead on with no problems. My rpm band is solid as far as I want to go - fuel pump is a little loud but once you get to rockn' around 4-6000 rpm who can hear the fuel pump. I did just install a 5 speed a few weeks ago and man did the rpm's drop in crusing speed - I did install a R180 diff 3.90 - great for my set up and tons of get up and go!

Unless I see some earth shattering news I'm leaving my set up where she is - AF gauge is spot on...........don't want to goof it up now! I could see selling my SU's sometime in the future.......gotta think about that one...........

Keep the info flowing - my setup is dead on with no problems. My rpm band is solid as far as I want to go - fuel pump is a little loud but once you get to rockn' around 4-6000 rpm who can hear the fuel pump. I did just install a 5 speed a few weeks ago and man did the rpm's drop in crusing speed - I did install a R180 diff 3.90 - great for my set up and tons of get up and go!

Unless I see some earth shattering news I'm leaving my set up where she is - AF gauge is spot on...........don't want to goof it up now! I could see selling my SU's sometime in the future.......gotta think about that one...........

Mitchell,

When you get tired of gazing out over those beautiful mountains in your backyard and you want to work in the garage, try that RX-7 pump. Quiet as can be. You can't even hear it with the key on and the engine off. Cheap too. Only $45 IIRC.

On a Mikuni note, Keith Franck has really dove into the carbs Silverstreak dropped off. He has pointed out weaknesses, found where they tried to improve on the Weber design, and I think started to gather ideas to improve them. Silverstreak does about 90% track with his car, though he does drive it to events. If Keith comes up with some prototype e-tubes, Silverstreak will be testing them at Laguna Seca this Fall... Stay tuned. I will open a new thread on Mikuni improvements when that happens...

Here's an interesting tidbit... I just found out my Triple Webers are rare as hell! I have 42DCOE 8 triples. They apparently were commissioned by Maserati in the 1960's and were also used on Morgans and Triumph's...

The reason I was researching them is I was thinking of selling them and going with 40DCOE 151's for the idle adjust-ability.

molto bello

Just enjoying all this Weber talk. I am going to replace my RX7 fuel pump with a new mr Gasket pump. I am still seeking to run about 3.5 psi.

Did Keith Frank mention what fuel pressure you guys should be running.. it would be interesting to know what he thinks.

He did. 'Adequate' to paraphrase. You don't have a problem if you aren't starving... I believe it was Leon who asked the question though. Maybe he could elaborate...

He did. 'Adequate' to paraphrase. You don't have a problem if you aren't starving... I believe it was Leon who asked the question though. Maybe he could elaborate...

That about sums it up. Enough flow as to keep the floats filled and enough pressure to get the fuel there. I agree that if you don't have starving issues, you're likely ok. I would put a fuel pressure gauge either after the carbs or between the 2nd and 3rd carb and make sure there is some pressure there, if you're really curious. I've taped a fuel pressure gauge to my windshield to test this. Not my fault if your car burns down. LOL

I'm still using the stock mechanical pump, but I did block the return line when I was tracking starvation issues. Turns out it was a bad fuel filter, but I never got around to unplugging the return line since it was running well. I should unplug it one of these days for curiosity's sake.