IGNORED

Aftermarket Fuel Injectors - What Are The Correct Ones?

The PO of my 77 replaced the fuel injectors with aftermarket while he owned the car. I assume that he picked an appropriate replacement, but he was into "more power" and I wouldn't be completely surprised if he substituted something different than original in an attempt to improve performance.

Is there any way to check for sure? What do I look for on the aftermarkets? Any way to double check that I have the right injectors for my motor?

What markings are on the injectors you have, and what color are they? I get the impression that some injector companies ID their injectors by color, not marking. My BWD injectors just have RAM molded in to the part, but I don't know if it means anything.

If you strike out on finding numbers/markings you would have to measure the flow. This isn't too hard, but it does require a lot of setup and preparation. The stock injectors are around 180cc/min. If the PO did upgrade, he most likely would have added higher flow injectors to richen up the mixture. All the sensors and the ECU in our cars drift over time. Usually they drift into the lean area, so slightly larger injectors may bring it back to optimal. Most likely it will bring it back too far and into the rich zone. I say this because any power hungry enthusiast isn't going to go "slightly" anything. :) Since our aging Analog EFI computer has zero feedback & little or no tuneability, any change from stock sensors and injectors can't be compensated for.

Is the car running poorly now, or are you just trying to gather information and study?

Lenny

The aftermarkets that are in there now are an off-white orangey pinkish kinda color. "Salmon" would be the best description.

They aren't white. They aren't pink. And they aren't orange. But they have tints of each. The lead wires coming out of them are white if that helps at all. I looked them over (installed) and didn't see any markings. I'll have to take a better look once I get the car out into the daylight.

If the PO did upgrade, he most likely would have added higher flow injectors to richen up the mixture. All the sensors and the ECU in our cars drift over time. Usually they drift into the lean area, so slightly larger injectors may bring it back to optimal. Most likely it will bring it back too far and into the rich zone. I say this because any power hungry enthusiast isn't going to go "slightly" anything. :)

Haha!! And Lenny, I couldn't have put it better. That's exactly what I'm worried about. I don't know just how power hungry the PO was, but it's clear that he was looking for something, and although most of his work has been satisfactory, I'm always a little suspect. I worry that he overcompensated for something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place. "Slightly" :D

I've got a minor rich condition and I haven't spent a lot of time hunting it down yet, but figured I would gather information and study first just to make sure that I'm starting from the right place. I really don't want to pull the injectors and measure flow. I mean I could... I just don't want to.

I understand on pulling and measuring flow, not hard, but not fun either. You might try adjusting the spring tension (make it tighter) on your AFM to bring it back down. Most of us end up loosening it a tad as we have aged/drifted to a lean setting. This can be done without removing the AFM. Just pop the cover and you can see the wiper/spring as well as the fuel pump relay contacts, ect. As a test, while your car is idling, push/pull the flap with your finger. You will be able to detect the RPMS drop/raise if your going the right direction. Ideally, the rpms should drop if you move the flap either way indicating your AFR is on the money. (at least at idle anyway :) ) In your case you should see your RPMS go UP a tad when you try to CLOSE the flap a bit.

Closing the flap -> indicates less air flow ->less air mass -> less fuel needed to match -> ECU shortens injection time -> creates leaner mixture.

Harder to type than to actually do.

Lenny

The aftermarkets that are in there now are an off-white orangey pinkish kinda color. "Salmon" would be the best description.

Yeah, SALMON! That's exactly how I would describe the color of the plastic on my Standard Fj3 injectors I bought off of Ebay. I don't recall whether there are any other markings on mine. I see current pics in green, but mine are a very attractive salmon. Yum!

FAIW, the aftermarket injectors did not appear to make my car run any richer (which would have helped solve my lean-running problem).