IGNORED

Z cars at the Concours

motorman7

Hi Carl,

I think just the addition of a Japanese class would be huge.

Oh No... here come the ricers!

I'm just kidding. I"m sure they wouldn't let just any car into a contours show. I wouldn't mind a nicely-restored classic marque from Japan- even a Toyota.

Edited by TomoHawk

Anyone going to the Coronado Main St car show Sunday the 28th? I am taking my Toyota there. I would love to park with a Datsun there. Great show with lots of different types of cars. Anyone is invited, but it is $35 (with a t shirt). Look me up if you show up. Scott

Anyone going to the Coronado Main St car show Sunday the 28th? I am taking my Toyota there. I would love to park with a Datsun there. Great show with lots of different types of cars. Anyone is invited, but it is $35 (with a t shirt). Look me up if you show up. Scott

Hi Scott,

Sounds like a great show there in Coronado, but I am guessing that most of the Z guys will be up at the Motorsport show in Orange. I may go next year to Coronado. Doing body work on the roadster this weekend.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Scott,

Sounds like a great show there in Coronado, but I am guessing that most of the Z guys will be up at the Motorsport show in Orange. I may go next year to Coronado. Doing body work on the roadster this weekend.

Best regards,

Rich

I was going to take my 67 Roadster but did not have time to fix the starter so I will be going to Coronado as just an observer. I too am blowing off Sunday at Motorsport, I will be going on Saturday for the garage sale.

• 11 months later...

So I took a break from my 1600 Roadster restoration and went to the Benedict Castle Concours last weekend. The show was about 60 miles up the freeway, so it worked out well to take the Z out for a drive and show. My plan is to just do two shows a year. It’s always nice to take the old Z out for a drive, and socialize at the car show.

This was the inaugural event. Special tribute was paid to Chuck Barris, creator of the Munster mobile, Bat mobile and other ‘Hollywood’ cars. The show benefited the teen challenge charities and was chaired by Barry Maguire of Maguire’s car wax.

They had a Japanese class with a number of award winning vehicles in the line-up. Koji and Terry Yamaguchi of JCCS fame headed up the Japanese class and invited a number of their past winners to enter the show. On hand were a couple Mazda’s, 5 Datsuns, 2 Toyotas, a Honda and a Mitsubishi. And yes one of the Toyotas was a 2000GT, I got to line up next to him.

Anyway, here are some pics from the show.

For those interested in awards, the 2000GT took third, the Toyota 800 took second and the Z took first. Not bad.

Link for show pics

post-19125-14150828069707_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1415082807039_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828071103_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828071723_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828072329_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828072913_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828073653_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828074391_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828075101_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828075708_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828076431_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150828077162_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7
add link
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Took my '70 to the San Marino Motor Classic (Formerly the LA Concours).  Lots of nice cars here.  Yes that is 5 Ford GT40's, 3 Gull Wings, and a host of Ferrari's.  Jay Leno was also there in some big Blue car with a nice chrome grill.  Great event, eye candy is attached.

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

I attended a very nice show this weekend with a concours-like setting, lots of very fine cars.  The major divisions were English, German, Italian, Domestic, and International  - for any vehicle not in the other groups.  I managed to snag a 1st in this lightly populated division.  For anyone on Facebook, I've created an album with some show photos. 

https://www.facebook.com/jim.arnett.240z/media_set?set=a.959359637516728.1073741831.100003281014642&type=3

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Congrats on the first place finish.  I took third out of the nine Japanese cars in our class.   I was happy with that.   Did I mention that the guy who took first in the Japanese Class has his own car museum?   I must be in the wrong line of work.  

http://malamutautomuseum.com/

Edited by motorman7

1 hour ago, motorman7 said:

Hi Jim,

Congrats on the first place finish.  I took third out of the nine Japanese cars in our class.   I was happy with that.   Did I mention that the guy who took first in the Japanese Class has his own car museum?   I must be in the wrong line of work.  

http://malamutautomuseum.com/

Thanks Rich,

Congrats back to you on your 3rd, nice finish in what was probably a tough bunch. 

That is a VERY impressive museum.  Clearly some extremely deep pockets at work there, little wonder he claimed a 1st. 

• 11 months later...

Just a quick pic of three Z’s at the 2017 San Marino motor classic (formerly the LA concours).  Mine is in the middle.  This really is a great venue with a lot of very high end cars.   Lots of space to walk around, trees for shade and the best goody bag of any car show that I have ever been to. Last year I even saw Jay Leno here, so it is definitely  a very nice event.

Unfortunately, the Z’s drew blanks and did not place at all in the Japanese Classics category.  Yes, even Jay’s Gold Medallion Z did not place which seldom occurs.  However, as has been mentioned before, it all depends on what the judges are looking for.  Sometimes they are looking for workmanship, sometime its authenticity, or un-restored, or a ‘great story’ car.  You just never know, and it is different for each show.  In talking to the judges afterward, the judges gave high marks for ‘how rare’ (translated expensive) the cars were.  Yes, even though the craftsmanship on some of the Z’s was exceptional, when it comes to rarity a $600K Toyota GT, complete with oil leaks, detached and dilapidated weather stripping, deep scratches and non-stock radiator  (among other issues) trumps the Z’s hands down.  The 2000GT, with car cover on in the pic, took second.  The Mazda Cosmo, another six figure (nearly $200K?) took third.   First place was a 1961 Mazda R360 coupe, which also took first last year at this show. 

The conversation I found most interesting was with Mike Malamut .  Mike owns the R360 that took first and also has his own museum of cars with over 150 cars including a 2000GT.  He also just purchased that blue 1970 240Z on BAT and Mike Sage’s Beautiful silver HLS30-00222.   Seems he is adding to his vintage 240Z collection.  The comment he made is that some of the nicer VIN’s below S/N 500 are selling for over $100K to private sellers.  That is pretty fascinating.  Putting 2 and 2 together, make me wonder what he paid for #222. 

Anyway, just thought this was all pretty interesting

DSC_0578.JPG

Edited by motorman7