IGNORED

Article: World's best Datsun 240Z resto-mod?

Mike

Hmmm.....I wouldn't turn this Z down but, a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine? I'm sure that's still some serious speed, but a Z should have no less than 6 cylinders, be it a Nissan, Chevy, Mazda, or any engine block dropped in there. Call my standards shallow, but after $85,000 you think perhaps a Skyline or Z32 twin turbo engine would be even greater and have the "correct" number of cylinders. Don't get me wrong....This baby looks fantastic and a thrill to own. Congrats on whoever owns it now, but I'll keep my rusty ol' L28 block, thanks! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hmmm.....I wouldn't turn this Z down but, a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine? I'm sure that's still some serious speed, but a Z should have no less than 6 cylinders, be it a Nissan, Chevy, Mazda, or any engine block dropped in there. Call my standards shallow, but after $85,000 you think perhaps a Skyline or Z32 twin turbo engine would be even greater and have the "correct" number of cylinders. Don't get me wrong....This baby looks fantastic and a thrill to own. Congrats on whoever owns it now, but I'll keep my rusty ol' L28 block, thanks! ;)

I'm kinda with you on this one. 20 years ago a Texas Instruments engineer named Bill Reagan built two '70s that were at least of the quality of this restoration but with their original L24 and 4-speed drivetrains. Hopefully the new owner in the UAE will take care of this one in the long term.

Yes - and today you can buy a very detailed Die Cast of one of Bill's restored 240Z's. Correct right down to the VIN on the Dash... it is the Franklin Mint Model - in Orange.

A car Bill saved from the crusher after a tree limb fell on it.. Nice as it was when Bill was done - the next owner spent another year or two plus many thousands of dollars making it even more correct and even nicer!.

It is a really great 240Z story in and of itself.

FWIW,

Carl B.