IGNORED

Nice original owner '72 survivor on Ebay with no reserve

24 Ounces

Someone actually had a look at the car. Hope the guy's bidding on it are aware of this.

From BAT.......

I looked at this car in-person a few days ago. Couple of flags here…

Seller is not original owner. He has a bill of sale from orig owner to himself (and orig. sales contract and window sticker, etc.) and a registration/title that was not signed over by orig owner. Technically, the paperwork will show the sale went from orig owner to buyer.

Car is very dry especially for east coast, however, the car is not as good as the ad leads one to believe. Both doglegs have had rust repair (some minor bubbling and magnet would not stick). Paint is a very basic respray. Primer overspray in places. Hood alignment off; looks like there was collision damage to front left headlight area. Could not get underneath car to get better look.

Test drive was limited to a couple of laps around the block due to lack of current registration. Car started immediately from cold. Probable exhaust leak at manifold based on sound. Car warmed up for a few minutes then driven. Car stumbled upon initial acceleration but ran well when it cleared it’s throat. No smoke, shifts fine. Threw alternator belt during drive.

Final assessment… anyone bidding on this car should go see it. Realize I am NOT trying to ruin this guy’s auction but I feel this car is not as good as advertised, although certainly better then many. You will, however, quickly be upside down giving this car a proper paint job and other details. This car will need some sorting to be fully useable.

It's "Bring A Trailer"...one of my favorite sites (you can spend hours on it looking at stories of interesting barn finds, one-offs, rarities).

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/02/07/1-owner-1972-datsun-240z/

I'm not really interested in how much my Z is worth...I just love it for its looks and driveability (the same things that attracted buyers when Zs were new). I know that when I drop my daughter off at the Jr. High that all the boys are asking her what kind of car it is. I am constantly telling todays kids what it is when I fill it with gas. It still goes like a bat out of hell, gets great gas mileage, and parts are readily available. I've done the Mustangs and Camaros, and decided last year to finally buy a Z. I specifically wanted a 240, rust-free, original, and with documentation (I hit the motherlode of documents with this car). I paid $4,100 for a driveable car that needed everything...and I think I stole it. This year I'll have the seats redone (probably $750 for the vinyl kit, new foam, and upholstery shop labor), new struts, spindle pins, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, and rubber bushings (probably $1,000-1,500 if I do my own labor), and $500 for Z Therapy carbs. By the time I'm done with this year's improvements I could still recoup my money (I'd shoot myself first). A good search of Craigslist using Search Tempest will locate some cars around the same condition and cost as mine...it took about 6 months for me to find mine. I'm not going to sink 50 grand into it for a Pierre Z restoration, but I will probably put a few grand into a good paint job within the next 2-3 years. I'm glad Zs are cheap...that allowed me to find a decent one for a low price. I agree with 26th-Z that 12 grand for the lime yellow '72 was money well spent (and very few 240s have their original docs).

24 Ounces, I am in the same boat as you,it took me almost a year to find my Z,currently I have two Datsuns , a 72 Z and a 72 510 two door [ a time capsule ] both are 918 orange,both are money pits but every $ I put on them is done with no regrets and I like to see the values on them to rise.:cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

Prices do seem to be going up a little, I struggled to find a decent car here in the UK, ended up with a 1970 car that made its way over from Arizona...

DSC04516.jpg

DSC04518.jpg

There must be about 100 cars a year making their way over here, They tend to be at the upper end condition wise(body I mean), with tired interiors etc.

Seems strange to think I had to get a car that lived thousands of miles away :)

Think the 12K price is about right if it doesn't have the rust monster. Since it does, its just an average example.

I was in a biz meeting in Japan and showed some rotisserie shots of my Z. One guy who didn't speak much English said very slowly... "No no... Not Datsun 240Z, DahTuSan Fairlady Zed!"

Cracked me up

Edited by GreenZZZ

Arne........your point in vivid colors.
I've been watching this a bit since my car sold. Totally unscientific, of course, just word-of-forums kind of stuff. Besides the cars going to the UK, I've heard of several nice examples sold to the Middle East, and a few others (besides mine) going to Scandinavia.

As I said, if we Americans aren't willing to pay good money for the premium cars, there will be fewer premium cars in the USA. Shipping them overseas is too easy, and they are even rarer overseas than they are here. It's a world market now.

72OJ...a "5 and Dime" is on the list for my next "big waste of money" (girlfriend's words, not mine). Most of them are just bombed out shells, but one of these days I'll get lucky and find a good one. Is your 240 on the "Color Registry" yet (my term for it...I have been adding some cars and colorizing them, incl. the interiors...interesting to see the surviving 240s all together). Use the below link to access...

http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry

Jason240Z...I looked Lincoln, England up on Wikipedia...beautiful and historic area east of Sheffield and south of Leeds. Nice Z...it looks dead stock...are you planning a conversion to RHD?...and are the parts even available? I know there were not a lot of 240s sold in the UK, so rusty RHD donor cars are probably rare and expensive. I've driven on the wrong side of the road in England, and got used to it after a few days. I'm sure driving a LHD car there would be somewhat of a challenge. Glad you're in the club. Below link is for the Yanks reading this...

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/lincoln-map.htm