headlight relays - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

headlight relays

Featured Replies

I am thinking of doing a headlight relay upgrade for my 280z. though I have though about David Irwin's upgrade his is not compatible with a 280z, so I am thinking of doing a hardwired upgrade. So no I am trying to find the best relay to use. Would this work? http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG

it has 5 pins not four though.

Those are the same relays I have at my shop and plan on using on my 240z.

  • Author

I thought about the amazon ones because it seemed to be a good deal with the socket and fuse holder bundled.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

So 87a would be left out of the circuit?

  • Author

Ok I am going to order the amazon ones. The cost is so low what can I really loose?

I'm a fan of wrecking yard relays just because it seems like old BMW is probably better than new aftermarket. My opinion, I could be wrong.

Those are typical Bosch relays and can be found under the hood of any BMW. They're numbered and labeled by amperage. Most come with an internal diode or resistor also to quench the high voltage spike that happens when the switch is turned off. Probably not a problem on a headlight circuit but a little extra insurance.

Just a little more to think about. Plus I like wandering the junk yard, it's like visiting a museum.

  • Author
That "fifth" pin is to INVERT the relay's operation from turning ON a device to turning it OFF (or turning one device on while turning another off)

E

Just like a threeway switch in you're home, no?

David made parking light upgrade and headlight upgrade harness's for my 77 280 and they work perfect.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.