headlight relays - Page 4 - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

headlight relays

Featured Replies

Would this work?

No. The relay coil on the right is always energized.

This will work correctly on the 240 and give you the high beam indicator light when the high beams are actually on.

No. The relay coil on the right is always energized.

I read it wrong. I need to compare it to the 280Z wiring diagrams.

FWIW, I ran the 30A 12V supply to the common lug (center) on the head lamps and used the relays to ground the high and low beams and toggled the relays at the high and low switch output. Less wiring and the high beam indicator works correctly. If I get some time I'll make a schematic, but work is calling rite now.

  • Author

the above diagram was drawn up pretty quickly. I left out the high beam indicator. Right now I am just thinking of different ways of doing this and wondering which is best.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I would suggest separately fusing the left and right light circuits. Losing both lights at just the wrong time might not be much fun. Even with a circuit breaker.

Steve

  • Author

Ok, So now I have at least 3 different options for wiring the relays. The Tycho relays are on order. I have seen Fastwoman's schematic and I think it is similar to Dave's. This whole endeavor has been food for thought in a few different respects (respect being one). But now I think I will go the Dave Irwin route If he still does custum harnesses for the 280z, as I had a spill at work and fractured a rib :hurt:. It's allmost to painfull to stoop down under the wheel well. It sucks in a way because I really like doing the work myself but sometimes I guess you could say it's time for assistance.

Edited by grantf

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Conclusion: I went with Dave's harness. I had a really hard time finding 280z connectors,I even tried making a trade with another member here, He got my parts but never sent me the connectors as promised :mad:

So I gave up on the him, and continued the search and eventually a 280z showed up at a junk yard close by. I got the connectors and drove them up to Dave's place, He made me a custom harness right there on the spot. I could not be happier with the outcome. I am using stock lights and I can now see road reflectors at night and even a few high beam flashes at me (I need to aim my headlights).

Thanks Dave, and everyone else that gave me advice on this.

Edited by grantf

  • 3 years later...

Is there any place to get a quality headlamp harness with a relay, that's not from MSA?

MSA unit=Dave Irwin

The MSA one is not for the 280Z, so it will not "plug-and-play."

 

It won't work with H4 bulbs either.

Edited by TomoHawk

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.