IGNORED

Should I try to start it or just rebuild?

BoldUlysses

Asked another way...how much oil did you drain when you were looking for metal?

I ran a Datsun 2000 roadster motor out of oil due to a lost drain plug. As soon as it started to shudder I realized something was wrong and shut it down. I refilled it and it ran about a day before it dropped a rod. Your luck may be better.

Edited by het976

I think what you guys are asking is how much oil did I lose during my 3/4 mile ride?

When I parked the car and walked the remaining 1/2 mile to the parts place to get the oil and filter, and returned, I remember putting 2, maybe 3 quarts in to return it to the correct level on the dipstick. I don't recall exactly, though. I was young and stupid and pretty frazzled at that point.

I drove the car home after lunch and returned to work for the afternoon in another vehicle. That night after I got home, I drained all the oil out of the Z's engine; that's when I checked for metal.

I know the odds aren't in my favor. But we'll see what happens.

Well I admire your candid nature and we have all had young 'dumb' moments sometime in our past. I recall an incident with a concrete pole and a '78 Z28 that would fall perfectly into your category.

however, keep the faith and do more diagnosing before you write off the motor. Definitely collect more data before you get your check writing hand ready.

I have the itch to rebuild my Z engine as well, but I would rather enjoy driving her as long as she is healthy. Yours may just need a little TLC.

We really need to know about the oil pressure...