IGNORED

smog test advice?

eatingZ

am almost done getting the title sorted out and in my name for the 1977 280z with 41K that i got one year ago.

the last hurdle is the smog test in So Cal.

anyone out there have any advice on obvious things to be aware of and look into to be fully prepared?

thanks for your help,

Assuming your car is a ca car and not a federal car there are a few things that come to mind. Make sure you can pass a visual inspection. Meaning, make sure all smog equip is still in place and operating correctly. If you had the cat changed make sure there is a date code and manufacturer code (mandatory now). Before I had my Z smogged 2 years ago I purchased a cat from MSA and these codes were not there. The station will look under your car to verify this. If they are not there they will fail you. Got my money back and bought a "california" correct one from a local muffler shop. Also make sure the seal on your gas cap is good. If it doesn't hold a vacuum they will fail you. That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm sure someone has something else to add that I forgot. Good luck and let us know how you did.

Go to Zcar.com and search for posts made by Tony D on smog checks. He has studied the rules thoroughly to make sure he passes. Unfortunately, a Google search of Zcar.com leaves a LOT to be desired. Definitely get a pre-test before you hook up for a test that counts. DO NOT get labelled as a gross polluter.

I am a little confused, though. Why are you worried about a California smog check when your profile lists a Pennsylvania location?

Edit: This link could help.

Edited by SteveJ

DRIVE the car for about 15-20 minutes BEFORE you go to the test, preferably at highway speeds, but definitely NOT Stop & Go. That way the engine will have warmed up hot enough to get rid of any condensation in the exhaust and gas in the crankcase.

Other than that, hopefully your car has all the required equipment.

FWIW

E

Do a good tune-up including a valve adjustment. A lot of these cars fail due to the EVAP system having leaks. As mentioned above, check the gas cap, all the fuel tank vent lines, the charcoal canister, and all the related hoses. Make sure the PCV system is good and the EGR valve is working. As mentioned above, make sure the car is good and hot when you pull in. One option might be to install a 190 degree thermostat.

BTW... doing all this will also make your car run a lot better.

If the testing station will allow it go for a pretest if you are at all worried about failure.

Better to fail in a pretest than to fail and be marked as a gross polluter in the Cali system.

Remember: Visual and Performance inspections both count equally.

y'all are awesome help. i won't get to work on the car for another 2 weeks, so i hope i can get most of this done or assessed when i get at the car....

i can not thank you all enough for all the great advice.

pittsburgh, where i live now. SoCal, where i am moving to in 2 weeks! hope it all works smooth..

Also check the condition of the catalytic converter.

As John Coffey suggested, get a tune up.

Get a PRE smog check! You don't want to tagged as a gross polluter. The smog laws in California most likely are not going to get lenient.

Good Luck.

Dave Ruiz