IGNORED

Beautiful '77! ebay auction in CT

Willoughby Z

I started the thread with "Beautiful..."

And I'd be proud to own it.

Perhaps if I had been more specific about the photographer's decision to show a minor flaw, my comment would have come across less cynical. I was surprised that with the apparent level of engine bay detailing that something so easy to attend to, would have been.

No disrespect all around but sometimes, when you are nearing the end of a deep restoration, and there is just one more little thing to do, you simply overlook it, to call it done. Look at it this way, something to fix so you can call it your own. :)

I started the thread with "Beautiful..."

And I'd be proud to own it.

Perhaps if I had been more specific about the photographer's decision to show a minor flaw, my comment would have come across less cynical. I was surprised that with the apparent level of engine bay detailing that something so easy to attend to, would have been.

Sorry, I realize that my post may have sounded insulting. I didn't mean it that way. It was a good natured chuckle not a mean one. Any purist is going to pay close attention to details as you did. Thanks for sharing the listing. When I get my nerve up for my next auto purchase things like that will be valuable.

ksechler, accepted! :beer:

The photos were so well done I suspect the photographer was focusing (pun intended) on the serial plate for details/clarity.

Off topic, slightly, but wife and I were viewing a photo layout of a very high-end real estate listing and she noticed a pile of dirty laundry on a closet floor, a disposable diaper rolled up, laying on a coffe table. Okay. Photographer missed it composing the shot. Agent missed it during review. Editor missed it prior to publication. Maybe it was all just "reality" marketing.

cygnus,

Easily understandable to miss a few details in the scope of a project as described by the reseller.

You're so right that a little bucket list would help you "bond"!

I get a kick out of how some people can pick photos apart when looking to buy a car on the web, a talent that sadly I do not have. It's like I have the “what it should be goggles” on, or may be these are things that can be so easily remedied that I just go right by them. Or may be that I have some form of retardation or ADD that doesn’t allow me to see these things. (Likely closer to the truth)

Either way, when the money gets that high, all I can see are those massive bumpers. Looks like a protective package for shipping the car, something that you would pull off on Christmas morning. Anyway, it looks like the bidding has temporarily stopped at $6100. Bet it will pick up again on the last day.

six grand for that car seems reasonable. Over all it does look like a nice car. even if you don't like the "park bench" bumpers they are in good shape. It's really hard to find the bumper ends. Not my first choice for mirrors, but they look a lot like the ones on my car (mine are black).

$9200.00 Reserve not met, Wonder if this one will go, and for how much. As for the bumpers, it's just that the silver makes them look even bigger than they are. If I were to buy one of these cars I wouldn't look for one with good paint, cause those monsters would be gone the first hour I had it.

$9200.00 Reserve not met, Wonder if this one will go, and for how much. As for the bumpers, it's just that the silver makes them look even bigger than they are. If I were to buy one of these cars I wouldn't look for one with good paint, cause those monsters would be gone the first hour I had it.

...and you've hit my dilemma exactly!! My Z does need a repaint, so do I take an original 30K car and repaint and keep it original with the railroad crosstie bumpers, or do I "convert" it to the smaller bumpers and not keep it original????

...and you've hit my dilemma exactly!! My Z does need a repaint, so do I take an original 30K car and repaint and keep it original with the railroad crosstie bumpers, or do I "convert" it to the smaller bumpers and not keep it original????

"Wilby" will need a respray in the next couple of years (door dings, chips, surface rust around fuel door). It was already resprayed by a PO 5-6 years ago(?) so I'm past the "all original". I try to keep things authentic for the most part but I prefer the skinny early 240 style. I know that they're not functionally that safe but I like what I like. So when I can afford a quality paint job, I'm going to budget for the body work to accomodate SS reproduction- no rubber, over riders, bars, etc.

I got rid of the buggy bumpers on my 76 and then got rear ended. Murphy's law. I still don't regret switching to the 240 style though. Unfortunately, the 77 and 78 has that spot welded apron on the rear end which makes it more difficult if you don't need paint.

I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to pamper/campaign/invest in originality it should be a 240Z, not a 280Z. All things equal, the 240 will be more desirable in the long haul. The 280Z will always be a step or two behind the 240's. Off topic sorry.

Edited by cygnusx1