IGNORED

What Do You Think My Z is Worth?

snevil

If you are serious about selling, the first thing you should do is put up pictures that show better detail of the car. That means; motor pictures, interior(seat/console/ dash) pictures, frame rail shots, better pic under the battery and better pics of dogleg and fenders. Looks like the right front fender has been re-painted/replaced. Was that from previous accident? “Unmolested” is a useless statement: to the average Joe that means there’s not a V-8 under the hood. Good pics tell a much better story. Best of luck with the sale.

Rich

Good advice, Rich. I had somewhere close to 75 pictures on the page I used to promote my car. Had I not done so, I'd still own it. If you are trying to sell a car to anyone who is not able to inspect it in person, you must provide enough detail and pictures to make them comfortable. That's a lot of pictures.

2-3k is a realistic range for resale. This summer I bought a 72 Z almost identical to yours. Same color, originality, had all the books/manuals, etc. Rust wasnt so bad on mine since it had been in dry storage since 1986. In the world of selling and buying cars for a living, just giving the car a thorough detailing and cleaning would give it more appeal and possibly a higher price. Like everyone has mentioned, take some more detail pics of it since not everyone can see it in person. By the way, what's the story of that red firebird in the background?

Chase

If it is as described, I don't think $7,000 is that out of line. Put a long day or two giving it a good cleaning, polishing and waxing, take as others have pointed out, more photos, photos with a cleaner backdrop than currently, and you may well get $7,000. Price it at $5,500 and I would be surprised if it wasn't sold within the month.

Chris

You bought it from gentle old Mrs Chin in 1999, never drove it and now are selling it? How much did you pay for it in 1999? Tack on your expected investment gain and ask for that. Don't forget to share the proceeds with Mrs. Chin.
emphasis mine

Why would Mrs. Chin be entitled to ANY of the gain?

E

It's a touch of cynicism on my part. The ad that snevil linked to made a point of mentioning the kindly old lady that he bought it from, apparently after working on her for years (see below). But then he held on to it for 12 years, doing nothing to it. To me, it looks like he bought it solely for investment purposes, and is using the image of kindly old Mrs. Chin to help him sell the car. She should get paid for the use of her image!

I'm a cynic at heart. Notice that he's also selling a Firebird and an El Camino. Nothing wrong with keeping your eye out for classic cars as good investments. His ad just looks a little disingenuous to me. Why would anyone looking for a 240z care about a "gentle old Japanese lady named Mrs. Chin"?

"IT WAS PURCHASED FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER IN 1999 - A GENTLE OLD JAPANESE LADY NAMED MRS. CHIN WHO PURCHASED FROM CANOGA DATSUN IN 1972. I ORIGINALLY NOTICED THE CAR SITTING IN HER DRIVEWAY, AND AFTER A COUPLE OF YEARS, EVENTUALLY CONVINCED HER TO SELL IT TO ME"

Disingenuous?

The story behind a vintage car's original owner is a valuable part of the history of the vehicle. If you don't see any value in that, then you are beyond help.

The only reason i am selling this car is because of financial hardship. Period.

Last time I checked ... this country is going through a DEPRESSION ... Yes I said it. the "D" word.

The El Camino is not for sale...

The people on this thread asked about the Firebird in the background. Not the other way around ...:cool:

Edited by snevil

I don't want to ruin anyone's Thanksgiving. I agree, times are tough and I can see the need to sell some possessions while you can, before economic conditions gets worse.

For future reference, and maybe it will help you in your sale, if you have already decided on a price, and you're actively trying to sell the car with a classified ad that has the price in it, don't post what looks like a sincere question about a car's value. Especially if you're going to link to the ad. The post looked like an attempt to get viewers to look at your classified ad, not a genuine question about what the car is worth.

That was the initiative for my post. If you've taken the advice of the people here and lowered the price to $5 - 6000, then you got some value from your question, and will have a better chance of selling it quickly, before the foreclosure. Good luck.

Happy Holidays everyone, sorry to expose my skeptical nature during the holiday season. I'll try to keep it under wraps until the new year.

From my chair I think you could get $8 to $9k on this car, but not without putting a little effort (and $$) into it. I've recently seen cars in similar or worse condition sell in this range, but they've all been good runners with trace amounts of rust in the usual places. As mentioned, clean the car, take a great set of photos, show that the miscolored fender has been properly repaired, spend $1000 to get it running, and I think you can make a sale.

I mention this only because it's been my experience that a little elbow grease, and some Mcguiars cleaning products, can return way more $$ then the time and $$ spent. It's all about eliminating the variables and barriers to sale. Good luck!