IGNORED

Heater core busted

Reverend

If you can get hoses on the ends of the core, then pressurize,seal and monitor pressure over time (like a leak down test),then you can do in situ.

Other methods are to seal one end, coat core with soapy water, pressurize, then look for bubbles or to immerse core in water, seal one end, pressurize, and look for bubbles, or to fill tank with water and UV dye, pressurize, then use UZ light to look for leaks.

Sorry, from reading the post regarding the blower, I was under the impression that you HAD already removed it from the hump.

There are a couple of screws holding that side of the heater plenum cover onto the body of the heater plenum. If you could remove them (they'd be at 90° which could be tricky), then you could just slide the core out.

Pressure tesitng could be as simple as using your air compressor with the core submerged in a bucket of water. But once you remove the cover, you may find the evidence at the bottom of the plenum (i.e. water, or coolant residue).

HTH

E

Yikes, I'll have to see if I have a spare unit to give you a definitive answer.

IIRC, there is at least one, maybe two on the side facing the firewall, but don't hold me to that. Once you do remove the cover, the core just slides into the lower portion on rails and some packing. It will slide out towards the passenger side.

E

This is a pain in the butt job, but it's really not that difficult, especially if no A/C is involved. By the time you pressure test everything, you could probably just go ahead and pull everything out and replace the core. Or, you can have the core tested at any radiator shop. The entire unit comes out on the passenger side. I haven't read all the how to's but take out the center console in the dash so you can get to everything to get the unit out. That's not hard either. Don't know your age or your flexibility, but hope you're pretty flexible! This job takes more flexibility than muscle...and a lot of advil! Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Best,

Bob

this manual has excellent section on dash removal

http://www.xenons30.com/files/1971%20FSM%20Supplement.pdf

A most useful reference for the next time i dare go behind the panel.

Loved the following from page 5.

"Although replacement of the panel assembly is essentially reverse order of removal, the following procedure suggests certain random operations be performed which are found to be effective."

In my experience and more than any for any other location, taking apart and putting back together the console does indeed involve "certain random operations."

Best of luck, brave traveller!

Chris

I havent order yet, but there is new cardboard box in MSA for 20 or so bucks. I need one special tool to remove the 2 philips head screws that holds the watercock on place.. Cause normal screw driver wont open it. There is so much suprise-factors working with this car that it is almost hilarious >:)