Help! SU carbs...(of course) idle is at 1800 can't bring it down.... - Page 3 - Carburetor Central - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Help! SU carbs...(of course) idle is at 1800 can't bring it down....

Featured Replies

So, as I ponder a possible carb conversion I wanted to begin by educating myself. This guy on YouTube seems to really know about these SU carbs. It might help all interested parties get those carbs tuned right. This video is part 1 of his SU tuning series.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should find a good rebuild able set, buy the kit from ztherapy.com that comes with the DVD for general instructions. I love videos but the only way for me was the hands on approach. You clean them as you go, make sure and keep the parts separate to the front and rear, wipe them down with this stuff and you'll be happy. BTW, how deep have you already gone with the EFI? That's something to consider in my opinion. That's why I have a set of SUs mounted on the wall in my garage. I replaced my whole EFI system before I bought a 240 and fell in love with the carbs. I'm sure you seen this but I'll post it again.


Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish - 5oz

  • 2 weeks later...

Basically constant vacuum carbs are very easy, but if you are used to downdraft carbs like most US cars use, it can be confusing at first.

The screw on the lower part is mixture control. The vacuum controls the fuel delivery. The choke pulls the venturi down ( same like putting the needle up ) and creates a richer mixture. Float bowl level has to be right offcourse and all the parts function correctly. Carbs can be synched by hand and view ( watch throttle valve opening ), but with an air flow synch tool is better and more accurate.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.