IGNORED

What do you guys think of this car?

oskidunker1

The color looks similar to both 905 ('70-71 color) and 110 ('72-on). Don't know from pictures how well it matches the 110 that would have been correct for this year.

I can see several things on it that give me pause, but since I have my own car for sale now at a similar price level, I think I'll keep my mouth shut.

Well it looks to be a rather clean little car, but we cannot see the floorboards or the under battery tray. You would need to drive it to see how the brakes feel and how it starts and warms up. If you go, make sure you are there to watch them start it. Feel the engine before they crank it. If it is warm then they started it earlier to ensure it would start well for you. It has some of the original fuel saving gizmos still on the balance tube. They may or may not work. If the body is solid and it runs, then 12k is not a bad price at all.

Looks like the color of my 260Z (110 Red). From the pictures, it looks like a close match. I love the color, maybe you'll like it better in person. It's a nice Z, especially interior wise, but I wouldn't trust the mileage claim unless it can be verified. You can find one in similar shape for less, especially if you're not too fond of the color. It all depends on what kind of Z you're looking for, prisine low-mileage or just a nice driver.

BTW, I'm in San Bruno as well!

I don't know how much a non-matching, non-original engine hurts the value of a 240 now, but it will surely hurt the value in the future. See if they have the original engine.

The common advice here is to buy the most car with the best body that you can afford. However, I'll give you some different advice. Ask yourself first why you want the car. If you want it as something to tinker on, then it might not give you that satisfaction. If you want it as something to drive around and enjoy, you might get too wrapped up in protecting it, afraid to park it anywhere for fear of getting a door ding. (And people can be mean, BTW. There are two dull dents in my roof, apparently from where someone pounded it with his fist.)

If you want a car that you can drive and enjoy, consider one that's not quite so perfect. This is been-there-done-that advice from someone who once owned an absolutely-too-perfect-to-have-fun-in-it '66 Mustang. ;)

Of course if what you want is a pretty show car, and you don't like tinkering, this might be your ride.

Edited by FastWoman

The 110 Red is can be better described as persimmon. My 110 Red 260Z looks more orange than red, but it has been repainted. Like I said, check the car out in person if you have doubts on the color. Of course, a complete inspection is necessary to deem the car worthy of the asking price as well.

They lost me in the fist sentence of the ad when they stated "original looking Z". Wrong wheels, added side "bump" strip, interesting exhaust pipe, no bumper over riders, outside mirror.......

Might be a good deal, but there are probably better deals. 2¢

Dennis

I considered looking at this can myself, but decided I have enough on my plate at the moment...

If it's rust free and mechanically sound, the price is close to right. I wouldn't pay more than $10,500 for it, (arbitrary number). That's without finding any costly rust, mechanical or cosmetic problems. (Some small issues are to be expected at this price). It does seem to have a few cosmetic issues, and some missing & non-original parts.

I'll second that for just a bit more green, I would talk to Arne about his car. You know it's in good condition and has been well maintained.

I'm close by and would be happy to go look at it with you tomorrrow or Saturday to offer technical advice.