IGNORED

Anyone have BSFC data or estimates for stock L24 @ 5600rpm

240260280z

BSFC is rate of fuel consumption divided by power made.

It varies with rpm.

The theory states it is supposed to be peak at maximum torque.

For a 4 cycle motor, it is supposed to be ~ 0.37 to 0.45 pounds of "standardized" gasoline per hour per horse power (according to wiki).

My problem is that for my HP calculation for an L24 @ 5600, I need to set Ve at 1 (complete filling and burning of exactly 2.4 litres of fuel) and a BSFC of 0.40.

0.40 seems to fit between the 0.37 to 0.45 but I have checked other peoples calculations on line and they typically use 0.50 to 0.55 for BSFC. As well if the L24 is 0.4 at 5,600rpm then it should be even better at max torque (4,400rpm).... which "feels" a little optimistic to me at this point in my model development.

I am OK with the 0.40 as per the Wiki range, but I need a sanity check

Edited by Blue

BSFC is rate of fuel consumption divided by power made.

It varies with rpm.

The theory states it is supposed to be peak at maximum torque.

For a 4 cycle motor, it is supposed to be ~ 0.37 to 0.45 pounds of "standardized" gasoline per hour per horse power (according to wiki).

My problem is that for my HP calculation for an L24 @ 5600, I need to set Ve at 1 (complete filling and burning of exactly 2.4 litres of fuel) and a BSFC of 0.40.

0.40 seems to fit between the 0.37 to 0.45 but I have checked other peoples calculations on line and they typically use 0.50 to 0.55 for BSFC. As well if the L24 is 0.4 at 5,600rpm then it should be even better at max torque (4,400rpm).... which "feels" a little optimistic to me at this point in my model development.

I am OK with the 0.40 as per the Wiki range, but I need a sanity check

BSFC would be at its minimum at max torque, not maximum. For those unfamiliar, think of it as the inverse of engine efficiency (proportional to torque), which is maximum at peak torque. As far as a good number, let me get back to you tomorrow, Blue, and I'll try to come up with something.

Thanks! I look forward to your data.

LOL Yes I mis-wrote max/min..... and in re-reading I also wrote "burning of exactly 2.4 litres of fuel" you know what I meant. :)

I wish the edit time limit was extended to 1 month as 1 hr is not enough for my mistakes to be corrected.

Edited by Blue

I have some numbers from a SCCA legal ITS 240Z. BSFC is not a hard fast number, and will/can vary depending on the state of tune. Other variables which can effect BSFC are the mechanical efficiency, or internal frictional loss of rings, bearings, etc. Also note, max torque@RPM varies with cam timing and length of intake tract, and size of header tubes/length.

These are an average of two ITS 240 engines:

4750 RPM - .59 BSFC ( 169 lb/ft. @ 153 hp )

5000 RPM - .55 BSFC ( 166 lb/ft. @ 158 hp )

5250 RPM - .56 BSFC ( 163 lb/ft. @ 163 hp )

5500 RPM - .56 BSFC ( 157 lb/ft. @ 164 hp )

5750 RPM - .55 BSFC ( 151 lb/ft. @ 165 hp )

Have fun!

Phred

Yup... I am just modelling the motor for now... it will eventually expand to model carb piston height and needle taper at RPM along with real fuel flow measurements.

One of the areas I want to explore is when should the carb piston hit the roof and go from CV to non-CV mode. This will in turn lead to spring exploration and piston mass exploration. :)