IGNORED

The most expensive Z ever offered for sale....$300,000?

Healey Z

AC Cobra or Cosworth Vega?

The intangible part of the Shelby Cobra, Cosworth Vega, Scarab equation is that the Scarab lacks the mystique of a legendary name association i.e. Shelby or Cosworth. Either of those names on any vehicle, even a Yugo, would tend to jack the collector appeal and subsequent value to some degree. Unfortunately, the Scarab lacks that heritage/lineage and usually is priced accordingly.

As a general rule, Datsuns shouldn't be a large part of your retirement portfolio. We should enjoy our Zs for what they are - an exciting and pleasurable means of transportation and a great place to pour copious amounts of spare dollars. 2¢

Dennis

The Cosworth Vega? That 110 hp, 12.3 second 0 - 60 screaming machine? That outstanding engine that burned exhaust valves, blew head gaskets, and split their blocks so much that Chevy had to go way beyond their warranty to keep the DOT happy? That engine that Kieth Duckworth was quoted as saying (at the start of the project), “You couldn’t easily see where it was likely to break first” and said at the end of the project, "...the worst car to ever have our name associated with..." That incredible chassis that was delivered to customers with rust already starting inside the front fenders? The incredible marketing that priced the car just $500 less then a new Corvette?

• 3 weeks later...
The Cosworth Vega? That 110 hp, 12.3 second 0 - 60 screaming machine? That outstanding engine that burned exhaust valves, blew head gaskets, and split their blocks so much that Chevy had to go way beyond their warranty to keep the DOT happy? That engine that Kieth Duckworth was quoted as saying (at the start of the project), “You couldn’t easily see where it was likely to break first” and said at the end of the project, "...the worst car to ever have our name associated with..." That incredible chassis that was delivered to customers with rust already starting inside the front fenders? The incredible marketing that priced the car just $500 less then a new Corvette?

Yeah. If an AC Cobra was near or at the top of value for a production vehicle with a special "name" engine, I figured the Cosworth Vega to be near the bottom and the Scarab somewhere in between.

Chris

Well, at least he has better photos now. I had emailed him, telling him the CL photos of our '87 Ford Crown Victoria station wagon (with a huge dent in one fender) looked better than the photos of his Scarab. I suggested he should hire a pro photographer. With lightning speed, he wrote back a few weeks later with "no thanks." I had no idea what the email was about at first. The photos still aren't of a professional quality, but at least they're better. At least you can see the paint is shiny. ;)

Two words....................Jay Leno.............If he sees this he will go big bucks, not 300K, but well over 60,000.

Why does everyone think Jay Leno will buy every old car? He laughed about that in an interview once. His quote was "everyone with an old car thinks I will buy it for a crazy amount of money if I only knew about it, keep dreaming"

Yeah, Datsun isn't even on Leno's radar. He's mostly into American cars, some European, and some modern Japanese (I suppose as daily driver cars -- like Miatas and such). He has an impressive Duesenberg collection, BTW! :-) All in all, he only has about 100 cars -- a large collection by any measure, but certainly not a large enough collection to buy up everyone's Scarab, Shelby Cobra, yada, yada.

Yeah, Datsun isn't even on Leno's radar. He's mostly into American cars, some European, and some modern Japanese (I suppose as daily driver cars -- like Miatas and such). He has an impressive Duesenberg collection, BTW! :-) All in all, he only has about 100 cars -- a large collection by any measure, but certainly not a large enough collection to buy up everyone's Scarab, Shelby Cobra, yada, yada.

Yes indeed. He makes crazy money by my, and I'd imagine, most of our standards but when you are picking up the best of what's available (and restoring it if the very, very, good isn't available) he doesn't make enough to spread it around all genres and years. Plus motorcycles. Has 10 Vincent's according to his column in Septembers Pop Mechanics.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I own what may have been the final Sarab before the company failed. It is a 1980 ZX started by Brian Morrow but finished after he sold his company. I have all of the ordering paperwork with Brian's signature and letters to and from him. It was started in late 1981 and delivered early 1983 A picture of this car is in Hot Rod magazine February 1983 pg 68

. Needs paint job and slight body work due to some minor rust issues. Does anyone know how to go about finding interested buyers for this car??

Edited by mcdmd

Just checked in on the subject car. Was put up for bid shortly after the sale ended with a buy it now price of $150,000. Top bid was $34,101 with the reserve not met. Not sure if it is up for sale elsewhere or if the owner has decided to try later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290615356547#ht_8027wt_1026

Chris