IGNORED

a little less screwed, hopefully..

eatingZ

so, the CA DMV informed me that i might be able to get around all of this without the help (or lack thereof) from any of the previous owners.

it turns out that title is still in the name of the credit union that gave the 2nd owner the loan. they have let me know that is paid in full and sent the CA DMV a "lien satisfied" letter, which will put the title in a sort of limbo.. if the right forms are filled and the right dmv agent pulls the right levers, the title can be put directly in my name, skipping both the 2nd and 3rd owners..

it seems like each different dmv agent has a different opinion on how to resolve this thing, some seem extremely complicated, this last one seems as easy as i could possibly hope for..

anyway, i do appreciate all the help and opinions and insights. i guess you keep trying everything and keep talking to a different person at each step until one is willing to push the papers through..

i'm not out of the woods, but it's turning a bit better.

the car does have a discloser from the dealer that sold it in 2008 stating 35,000 miles. i talked with the dealer that sold the car in 2008, they say they had gotten the car from the widow of the 1st owner, after he had died, she had put the car in a garage for 25 years. i don't know, but the car sure is mint inside, clean, good paint, all electric working perfect, starts the split second you turn the key, all that stuff..

The California DMV is a mixed bag for sure. You can call 5 different customer service reps with the same question and get 5 different answers. I think you got a good answer today and one I would agree with from my experience of registering many different cars. Good luck, I am sure you are hard will pay off. I always believe in doing it the right way. The car sounds like a great find and I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come.

Sounds like the car is a great find and it'll all be worth it in the long run. When you talk to the people at CA. DMV, if you get the resolution you are looking for, great. If not, that person always has a supervisor available and ask to speak to them. "Most" of the time the supervisors are knowledgeable and can work around your issuses. My .02 cents....