IGNORED

Help with part identification

cbudvet

Hi Everyone,

I am finally reassembling my engine and have a question. I have 2 engines, the original one and one from the parts car. I have ended up with duplicate parts and do not know which is from the original engine. There are subtle differences that hopefully someone can help determine which is the older. One set was connected by a metal pipe and with the other set, they were connected by a hose. There are also differences in casting numbers. I am trying to use the older set that went with the older engine. Thanks!

Carl

post-11951-14150816017002_thumb.jpg

post-11951-14150816017369_thumb.jpg

post-11951-14150816017633_thumb.jpg

Probably not a big difference between the two.

The line is for coolant flow to heat the manifold and carbs. Something you do not want in the summer so if you don'd drive in Indiana in the late fall or winter, you do not need it. The pipe ads a little structural strength.

From the information I have gathered,

E-46 = 69-71 4 screw SU

E-88 = 72 3 screw SU

N-33 = 73 Flat top

N-36 = 74 Flat top

There is internet speak that the 74 N-36 has a 'little' bit better flow, and 'maybe' a few more cc volume.

I haven't found positive proof yet.

Bonzi Lon

I did a little net searching and found that the N36 did work better in race applications at WOT.

Read this thread: http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discussion_forum/n36_hoax_631455.0.html

What I would like to see is actual flow testing on a flow bench. I should make the one I have been procrastinating all these years.

Edited by Blue

I was / am going to do a cc measurement on the 3 manifolds I have, E88, N33 & N36 that is on my car at the moment. I noticed right off, a cc gain (and thus flow), could be had by cutting the balance tube bolts off flush to the inside, they do protrude. I don't have access to a flow meter, was just going to measure volume. This would be done before ANY porting or polishing, wanting to get the stock numbers.

Bonzi Lon

Blue: Interesting read, as I have cam 13001-N 3626, N-36 intakes, new rebuilt Paltech carbs, header...and it does scoot. :) (I truly remember it as stock w/flat tops.) :(

blue 72: Interesting read on the inner casting differences, I used to work in a ductile iron foundry, like aluminum only hotter, :) shows they made a change, for the better?

Bonzi Lon