IGNORED

How do you adjust the height of the clutch pedal?

Ptero

It's a tight fit but you can reach some pliers or your hand up there and turn the rod out by hand,without disassembling anyhting. I had forgotten but my lock nut and master cylinder rod did the same thing last year (similar to what FastWoman described). I thought my slave cylinder had gone bad (again).

With 30+ years of wear on the linkage and the combination of aftermarket parts, my master cylinder rod is adjusted out as far as it will go before running out of threads in the clevis (the u-shaped thing).

Edit - I should add though, that my clutch disengages with the pedal nice and high. I don't need more adjustment. For the record.

Edited by Zed Head

Ptero, my 76 is doing the same thing with the reverse gear. My 5-speed is a fresh rebuilt unit, I found some posts mentioning that since there are no syncro gears for the reverse, we will hear the noise while engaging the gear. On mine, I do have to press all way down to the floor the clutch, to avoid the grinding noise. All other gears are fine. We probably both need to adjust the rod Zed is talking about.

That's got to be one of the most annoying fixes I've ever attempting. Laying with my back on the seat and my head by the pedals trying to turn the pushrod with almost no room to move my hand.

With that said..... this worked PERFECTLY!!!! I raised the pedal from about 6" up to 8" (which is still short of what it should be) and it made a world of a difference. Goes into reverse/1st when sitting at a standstill whether the car is on or off. Gear changes are a lot smoother as well.

There was only one nut holding it tight so it may loosen itself in the future but at least I know how to fix it next time even if it is a PITA.