IGNORED

PSA: Circular type fuel pressure regulators...

71ZZZZZ

Any of you use one of those inline circular fuel pressure regulators with the rotary pressure adjustment? I used to use one...

...years back I installed an electric fuel pump and this type of fuel pressure regulator to feed dual Webers on my 4/71. Just recently while troubleshooting my car, the regulator failed, causing massive leaking. I think there is some diaphragm arrangement under the cap. Since the car has been sitting for some time, I'm having issues with rubber fitting failures. This was not a subtle leak...the pressure from the fuel hitting the cap caused a spray that covered most of the right (battery, alternator) side of the engine compartment. I was trying to start it up and was having problems...it was because the gas wasn't feeding properly...

I came really close to flaming on, losing the car and possible catching that side of the house on fire...I now have a Mallory 4207 on order (not a plug for Mallory, but more for any robust FPR) and the fuel pump is unplugged until it comes. The 4207 is more complicated to adjust but worth the cost/hassle for safer fuel delivery

...BE CAREFUL WITH THESE CIRCULAR TYPES...

Edited by 71ZZZZZ
Clarification

• 2 weeks later...
My 73 has a fire extinguisher mounted behind the driver's seat.

Bonzi Lon

I think I'll get one just as a safety measure, but the fire from this leak would have engulfed the car in short order...

Got the new FPR on, the carbs are running very smoothly but now I'm thinking about the fuel pressure running to each carb. I read that Webers like 2.5 psi...with the stock fuel pump is the output pressure split somehow between the 2 carbs? With the electric pump and the old FPR I had it set for 5# (figuring 5#/2 carb = 2.5#/carb). Is this logic flawed? I suppose I could add a second FPR to really be accurate, but that seemed like overkill for what I'm doing with this car...

Edited by 71ZZZZZ