IGNORED

The official "Post pictures of your wheels" thread

Ptero

I like the wheels a lot, but they have the stupid slotted lug holes that accept multiple bolt circles. I am afraid to use them on the 260 race car even though I need another set of 14x6 wheels for the track. [...]
Jeff, are you still in need of 14" wheels. Do they have to be 6" wide? I might have some 14x?" that I could part with. Let me know and I'll look at my stash.Al

Jeff, are you still in need of 14" wheels. Do they have to be 6" wide? I might have some 14x?" that I could part with. Let me know and I'll look at my stash.Al

Al, I think I've got what I need. In October, I tried the slotted hole six-spoke wheels during practice and they held torque. I also raced for 25.5 hours on the rim with the slightly damaged lug holes and it held fine as well.

The main thing I learned is that shank style lugnuts from auto parts stores are not made well enough for severe use such as racing. I noticed that we had to keep retorquing several of the wheels early in the race and when I inspected the nuts, I found that the nuts themselves were wearing badly where they interface with the washers. I used a different set of nuts (with shorter shanks) that I bought off ebay on the damaged wheel and that was the only one that held torque throughout the race. After 25.5 hours and 1400 race miles, the ebay nuts looked like new and the Autozone nuts were in lousy shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Mike featured this topic