IGNORED

Why does the 260z get a bad rap.

Hunter260Z

This is a common thing among classic cars. The Tri-Five Chevy's are another perfect example.

The 1955 Chevy brings very big money,..it was the first in it's line. It was cutting edge for the time with beautiful new styling.

The 1956 came out with the exact same body / sheet metal,..but the chrome and trim was tweek.

The 1957 came out still sharing a lot of the same sheet metal and tooling,...but was tweeked a lot more.

Today,..while all three are high dollar and valuable cars,...the middle year, (1956), has a much less following and brings less money.

I'm trying to decide if i got a raw deal or not.

my car is a mid72 240, but had an FK crate motor from a 260z installed some time in the early 80's

it has the round top su's and most of the smog stuff is removed.

anyone have an idea what my 240 with a L26 would do against a stock 240???

seems to be a blast to drive, but having never driven a l24 powered car, I have nothing to compare to.

I always did like the look of the 260's. IMO i thought the 260 interior looked great.

In the USA, the L26 had 12 more HP stock than the L24, according to Nissan.

If the PO done it right it should have more power than a 240z. Datsun increased the capacity to 260 the compensate for emmisions. The 260z had the same head with bigger inlet valves. I think the exhaust was the same, but someone will correct me if I wrong here. The worsed thing about the 260z engine was the carbs. They replaced the Hitachi SU carbs with flat tops with the square intake/coke chamber. Commonly called emmision carbs. I dont think anyone plays with them much. Most swap to the Hitachi model. Do you know anything about the cam?

Chas

The 260Z had bigger exhaust valves, not inlets.

Both "flat-tops" and "round-tops" are Hitachi carburetors. The flat-top Hitachi carbs were an improvement in design over round-tops: they had separate idle and main circuits as well as a power valve. However, this made them a bit more complex and since they were such a "unique" design, people didn't know what to do with them. I believe slightly different versions of the flat-top Hitachi were used overseas with great success.

The 260Z had bigger exhaust valves, not inlets.

Both "flat-tops" and "round-tops" are Hitachi carburetors. The flat-top Hitachi carbs were an improvement in design over round-tops: they had separate idle and main circuits as well as a power valve. However, this made them a bit more complex and since they were such a "unique" design, people didn't know what to do with them. I believe slightly different versions of the flat-top Hitachi were used overseas with great success.

Thank for clearing that up.

I think the bad image is only in the US and probably because it was a stepping stone to the 280Z.

Does the 260Z US model use the same HMB 46W carbs?

240Z (US pre 1974) Fuel system: Mechanical fuel pump, twin Hitachi HJG 46W 1.75in SU type carburetors

260Z Fuel system: Mechanical fuel pump, twin Hitachi HMB 46W 1.75in SU-type carburetors

Quoted from an article about the australian 240/260Z:

Originally, the 240Z was fitted with Hitachi type HJG 46W carburettors, but US federal emmisions controls casued Datsun to change to HMB 46W units in 1973. These carburettors where modified a grand total of five times before the end of 1974. These carburettors where used on all US 240Zs produced after 1973, and on all 260Zs sold worldwide. The emmision carbies where never fitted to Australian deliverd 240Zs.

The 260 was sold for only one year in the US, being replaced by the 280Z (basically a 260Z with an injected L-28 engine) as power had been so badly reduced by emmissions controls. The 260Z was still sold everywhere else up till 1978, when it was replaced by the 280ZX. Non-US 260 carburetors proved much less troublesome, but where still temperamental.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

Thank for clearing that up.

I think the bad image is only in the US and probably because it was a stepping stone to the 280Z.

Does the 260Z US model use the same HMB 46W carbs?

240Z (US pre 1974) Fuel system: Mechanical fuel pump, twin Hitachi HJG 46W 1.75in SU type carburetors

260Z Fuel system: Mechanical fuel pump, twin Hitachi HMB 46W 1.75in SU-type carburetors

Quoted from an article about the australian 240/260Z:

Originally, the 240Z was fitted with Hitachi type HJG 46W carburettors, but US federal emmisions controls casued Datsun to change to HMB 46W units in 1973. These carburettors where modified a grand total of five times before the end of 1974. These carburettors where used on all US 240Zs produced after 1973, and on all 260Zs sold worldwide. The emmision carbies where never fitted to Australian deliverd 240Zs.

The 260 was sold for only one year in the US, being replaced by the 280Z (basically a 260Z with an injected L-28 engine) as power had been so badly reduced by emmissions controls. The 260Z was still sold everywhere else up till 1978, when it was replaced by the 280ZX. Non-US 260 carburetors proved much less troublesome, but where still temperamental.

Chas

The US 260Z used the HMB46W-4 (per FSM).

Regarding US models: they also incorrectly state (and perpetuate the myth) that the 260Z had less power than the 240Z. Again, Nissan rated the 260Z with 12 more hp than the 240Z.

Wow, I've been telling people the 260Z was only made the one year, and people agree. Now I can get into 'discussions' about how they were actually made up until 1978 (1974 through 1978 is "five years".)

If the 260Z was produced for "five years" you could call it the most successful model of the line?

• 2 weeks later...

What I find interesting, is the japanese market didn't have the fat bumpers.. so all the way up to the s130, they always had the beautiful skin fitting bumpers of the 240z, with the refinement that came along the years. The chassis code became S31 (which would be our 260z and 280z) . I would be happy with any year of the japanese model.

Seems like there where a few more JDM models .

zk62qt.jpg

260z 2+2 G nose, haa beat that!

Would figure that in Japan, all of these cars would be valuable , since the cost of owning an old car cost soo much more (they favor crushing old cars.)

Edited by Hypertek

What is so interesting about the JDM 260Z not having the fat bumpers? The heavier bumpers came from US regulations that cars be able to withstand a 5 MPH hit with no damage. By the way, the regulations were relaxed years ago, mandating only a 2.5 MPH hit. If Nissan didn't need to add a bunch of weight for their domestic cars, why should they?