IGNORED

Rear clunk after installing new struts

JohnnyO

Yes, and the reason I had the diff supported with a jack was because I was replacing my struts, bushings, blasting and painting my rear suspension. While the suspension was off the car the diff was supported with a jack and a block of wood. During the 2 weeks it took me to refinish my suspension the insulator gave way.

I still do not like lifting it at that point and will lift from the support just behind the diff until I am told that I shouldn't.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Johnny, from all that you said I doubt the mount failed from anything you did. It was probably ready to go. When we rebuilt the rear suspesion on our's we inspected the mount and it looked fine. We almost replaced it "just because" and decided not to. It failed the very day we started driving the car again. One hard shift into second was all that was left in it. We replaced it with the solid mount from MSA and it fine now.

Yes, and the reason I had the diff supported with a jack was because I was replacing my struts, bushings, blasting and painting my rear suspension. While the suspension was off the car the diff was supported with a jack and a block of wood. During the 2 weeks it took me to refinish my suspension the insulator gave way.

I still do not like lifting it at that point and will lift from the support just behind the diff until I am told that I shouldn't.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Never leave your car supported by a jack. Place jackstands in the correct locations and leave it on the stands for as long as you have to.

With that said, as beerman points out, I doubt your insulator failed from that, especially if the diff was supported as the FSM shows (toward the rear diff mount/mustache bar).