IGNORED

turbo it or stroke it

silvey19k

ok i have a second engine for my 78 280z.Im going to be starting a new project for the motor and im wondering if i should turbo it or stroke it? i need insight on what to do. its a bone stock l28 n/a motor. So give me your point of view on what to do with it.

Let's start with budget. How fast do you want to spend? From all my research stroker is going to cost more per HP, turbo is easier horse power to make. I agree with Blue ITB's would be fun but they are not terribly cheap either. So what is your budget for this build, $1000, $2000, $3000, $4000, $5000 or more? What are you thinking?

Charles

Turbo will get you to the HP goal with about 1/2 the cost...and then almost double the power with the same cost. But ITB's and stroker are more period correct, and would be just as fun.

Stroker Turbo anyone? :smoke:

Edited by cygnusx1

Im looking to spend around 3000 to 4000 on this project maby more. ive been looking at itb and zccjdm has a really nice product for itb. Im looking for a fun build in the end and not something thats going to be a pain in the a**. Im looking for direction for this i would like more power but safe power i dont want to get done with the motor and then it fail for any reason after i drop it in. there are other directions i can go like a SR20 that would coust about the same but i kinda wanna stay with the l28.Even tho the drop and go would be nice i like a challenge.:cool:

Edited by silvey19k

well, I have to go with turbo. Not only can you make more power at a lower cost, a turbo is the best of both worlds. Way back when san antonio held there first convention (2001?) iI drove my car from Tampa. In the pack of cars I was with, I got the best gas milage, about 28mpg. At the drag strip, the car ran 11.79 @ 121mph, and that was in 93 degree weather.

Our lemons race car is an even better example. we bolted a stock turbo motor in the car using the 77 EFI. That car dynoed 235hp at the wheels on 9 psi. At the race, we had the fastest car on the straits, unfortunatly, we had very little brakes and questionable suspension.

The great thing about a turbo car is that when your not in boost (which is most of the time) it is an overbuilt low compression, mild cam motor. A high compression, big cam, stroker motor is always just that. It's great, but durability and gas milage isn't there. If I was building a show or weekend car, a stroker would be cool. For a daily driver, give me the turbo.

Jim