IGNORED

Customizing my MSA flanged exhaust

Arne

Looks good, get a video up here!
Cell phone won't do. Since I don't own a real vid-cam, I'll have to try using the webcam on my laptop. Might not be a good representation, but I'll try tomorrow.

Looks good Arne! Nice work

Exploring ideas sometimes turn into more work than we wanted but I think the end product looks good. Not many are going to have an exhaust like yours.

If it makes you feel any better, my Magnaflow seemed like it was the same volume for the time it was on my car.

That's good to know. We'll see how it goes this week. I'm taking the car to Portland to watch vintage racing next Saturday, and will drive the car to work a couple of times this coming week. If I/we decide it's too loud, I may have something done on Friday before the road trip.

I don't know how the Magna flow compares to the dynomax that comes with the MSA kit. I can tell you for sure that mine got quieter after a short time. It seems odd to me, however I believe it may just be the muffler packing breaking in. I did consider a resonator for a few days, but it did mellow out quite a bit. Drive it a few times, you might change your mind before you get the saw and welder out.

I suppose that is possible, but remember that the Magnaflow I selected (solely on account of the suitability of the dual outlets) is a much smaller muffler in volume than the Dynomax, or than the typical single in & out Magnaflow. The muffler case is 14" long (about the same as the Dynomax), but is only 3.5"x7" in cross section. Considering how small it is, it should be no surprise that it is a bit loud.

This was all I had in the middle of my exhaust. It was perfect with the header and rear muffler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630805/

With the stock manifold and a only a rear muffler (flowmaster at the time), it was never too loud (for me). Maybe my hearing is not as good LOL

The smallest diameter glass pack/resonator/mufflers on Summit I found were these.

3.25" dia http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KOK-R250-14/

not sure how much different this would make it but it is stainless and likely would cut some noise

These all specify 3.5" body diameter, all pretty cheap.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Exhaust/Part-Type/Mufflers/Inlet-Diameter-in/2-500-in/Outlet-Diameter-in/2-500-in/Case-Shape/Round/Universal/Yes/Case-Outside-Diameter-in/3-500-in/?Ns=Price|Asc

With the stock manifold and a only a rear muffler (flowmaster at the time), it was never too loud (for me). Maybe my hearing is not as good LOL
Other than the drone or resonance of the same system with the Dynomax, the noise level isn't normally bad with this system. But the Magnaflow I used is rather small with dual outlets, so not a lot of muffling going on there. I suspect that is the main cause.

The car is at a local muffler shop as I type this, having an aluminized glass pack added. Due to the tight clearance, the center pipe is going to be re-routed down the center of the tunnel to ensure no rattles or interference. I'll report back after I pick it up later today.

Edited by Arne

Just picked the car up from the shop. The additional muffler in the middle was definitely the right thing to do. It might be a good idea with the Dynomax muffler supplied, but is pretty much essential with the small dual outlet Magnaflow.

The additional glass pack is 22" long. Quieted the car to a reasonable level for a sports car, nice sound but not too quiet or too loud. Took the harsh edge off the sound as the engine passes through 3000 RPM. The exhaust still has a much deeper tone than it did with the old 1 3/4" exhaust.

Anyway, I'm done. I would not do it this way again, but it's all good now. After all, it's only money. :cry:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46559

post-8596-14150815542071_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne