IGNORED

Engine Compartment Bath?

Threehz

Blue, is CD2 just a light oil? I used Armorall on a rag to wipe down the engine bays of my Z3 and '66 Mustang when prepping for sale. They looked awsome when I was done. I will sometimes use a bit of WD-40 on a rag when doing routine cleaning in my Z's engine bay. Any light oil is great for cleaning and conditioning rubber parts.

FAIW, I usually set a spray nozzle to spray a heavy mist and work just with that. I soap, scrub, wipe with a rag, and rinse with no more than a heavy mist. If I'm uncertain whether all the electricals are tight enough for a wet start, I like to start and warm the engine very slightly before I begin. Then a restart is much easier. But as Blue suggests, you don't want to douse a hot engine with cold water.

Yeah light oil seems like a good idea to remove all the greasy dirt built up in there and definitely won't have a bad effect at all.

Reading up on this CD2 I'm very interested in what it is exactly. It is definitely a cleaner but I've read it is an acrylic so it dries and hardens in heat (you're definitely supposed to run your engine after putting it on) so it keeps off dirt and other grime for up to a few months.

So the CD2 seems more like something for finishing rather then initial cleaning of the car but maybe I'm wrong. I'm a little confused about it still haha

CD2 is not an oil as Threehz mentions. I thinks oils will trap dust and dirt. CD2 drys hard so it does not do this.

TIP: If you want to rinse something but have it dry quicker (like acid treated metal or wet sanded metal), rinse with boiling water.

Question - CD2 Engine Detailer appears to be difficult to find out on the internet....does anyone know of a supplier that I could order some from? I tried the autozone website and it came back with zero results. Thanks.

I've read it's gone in and out of Autozone and sometimes pep boys depending on where you live and just if they've ordered it, however I've also heard if you talk to the people there they will possibly order it for you?

I found this also online (Corvette Central also sells this on ebay and has perfect seller ratings so it appears to be a reliable source)

http://shop.corvettecentral.com/Corvette-CareCD-2-Engine/Accessories/Car-Care/-p8701579.html

• 3 weeks later...

I have used some canvas bags to protect things like the alternator. Plastic and aluminum foil seem to tear easily. Just be careful when you spray water, so you don't spray directly into things like the alternator and distributor, AFM, etc.

Keep in mind that you may have to wash the engine and engine area many more than just once. The first pass might get some of the dirt and oil, but it'll still look pretty much the same as the "before" or still "dirty." I washed mine about 6 times before it was really about ready to just treat and close the hood. Every time I concentrated on a different area, because unless you have 8 arms, the whole jobs is just too much for one pass.

While you have the battery out is a good time to clean that area, and maybe treat anything you don't like to look at.

It seems that mo matter how many times you wash or clean the area, it's never really "clean" or so the car show judges would say. It's up to you.

I'm using tire foam products to detail the engine area. It cleans things, and leaves a protective residue, and you can just hose most everything down, although I rub it on & off.

Edited by TomoHawk

No doubt, after 34 years grime gets in every little nook and cranny! I just gave my engine bay a couple good washes to get the majority of grime and dirt out because right now I'm about to take out the engine and then remove everything from the engine bay for a DEEP & thorough clean then repaint! I've giving each individual component it's own thorough deep clean and restoration job so hopefully it'll turn out alright!

If I am doing a light cleaning without scrubbing, more of a wet rinse of the engine bay, I start with the engine cold, start the car, and rinse it really quickly with the engine running. Do it quickly before the engine gets hot. This keeps the water from sitting in the alternator and if it stalls, you know what it was that got wet with the hose.

After a cleaning, especially with the EFI models, don't forget to lube all the sticky throttle joints and bearings. A smooth throttle makes a huge difference in how the car feels.

• 1 month later...