IGNORED

Old flat tires, fix a flat?

Threehz

So I'm planning on purchasing a 77 280z in the near future however it has been sitting for 8 years and the tires are flat. I plan on having it towed to my house but I'm definitely going to try and pump up the tires before hand. However if they leak I was thinking of trying fix a flat on them then pumping them up real well for rolling it around my house and garage. Is fix a flat a worthwhile solution to this or should I try something else?

Use car dollys or get some used tires until you can put new tires on. That way the poor SOB replacing the tires won't have to deal with all sorts of crap when he unmounts the rotten tires currently on the car.

The downside of the dollies is that you won't have brakes. Of course, you could compromise, putting dollies on one end and used or new tires on the other end. That way you would still have brakes on either the front or back.

Have the tow company send a flat-bed tow truck, then you could pump air in to the tires and they should hold long enough to get the car onto the flat bed. Tow the car, and do the same once you're home.

Then you can replace the tires at your leisure.

E

I would not use fix-a-flat. It gums-up the inside of the tire and rim. The rim becomes a pia to clean after using that stuff.

What he said. Plus some of that stuff can even be corrosive to some alloys. That stuff would be my very last resort.

Alright thanks for the input I did read up on the fix-a-flat and similars and hear some negative things about it being messy which is why I asked on here. Those car dollies look like a good idea however I might just put that money towards getting some new tires and just try and inflate them to transport it home for now. Thanks guys!

^^ What Arne said. I ruined a rim with the stuff once. I made the mistake of using it to fix a slow leak. It "worked." A couple of months later I replaced the tire, and the rim was toast.

I actually have an old can of the stuff. Ya' want it?

^^ What Arne said. I ruined a rim with the stuff once. I made the mistake of using it to fix a slow leak. It "worked." A couple of months later I replaced the tire, and the rim was toast.
Never ruined one myself, but after almost 25 years working in tires and wheels, I saw plenty of customer rims ruined by it.