IGNORED

Will 280Z Interior Door Panels Fit in a 240Z?

lonetreesteve

I have a set of new blue door skins for my '71 240Z and have been looking for a solid pair of 240Z door panel boards to mount the door skins on, but have had no luck. There was a solid pair on Ebay with pristine mounting holes a couple months back, but I got outbid at the last second. I was wondering if a set of 280Z panel boards would fit on a 240Z. I realize that they have different arm rest holes in different places, etc but I thought that possibly the 280Z door panels could be modified.

Steve

I'm pretty sure the overall fit is the same, other than the arm rest holes. Depending on the 280 year, the style of clips that attach it to the door changed to the round plastic ones from the steel ones we all hate. Its easy to tell, the later ones have holes that look like two circles, one large one small right next to each other, joined by a slot. Those plastic clips are easier to find too. I think you have a good idea there.

Thanks for the good info, guys, I appreciate it. The guy who has the 280Z panels up for sale isn't sure what year 280Z they came from. As I mentioned, my plan is to remove the vinyl on the 280Z panels and only use the boards for my new 240Z door skins. I have attached some pics of the door panels and as Steve and Jeff indicated, if these are 77/78 panels, they will not work. Please let me know if these are the 75/76 or the 77/78 panels.

post-6600-14150814581307_thumb.jpg

post-6600-1415081458148_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150814581555_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150814581813_thumb.jpg

OK I have an answer here.

1974 (260Z) 1975-1976 early 280z are the same door panels and they could be fitted on 240z. However, door armrest and passenger pull handle location will be problems.

You either stay with 280Z type door handle/armest and drille holes on door sheet metal. Or install 240Z armrest and pull handle, but there are few holes showing.

Now 1976 late to 1978 type is totally different. It is biger, clips holes do not match at all. Farthermore, door lock-rod-hole is about 1 inchi off.

Classic Datsun Sells incredible door skin kit, which look just like factory ones with chome molding.

You know how picky I am. They are very good. If you spent $150 -250 for a set of used door panel, I would go and get them re-covered.

OK I have an answer here.

1974 (260Z) 1975-1976 early 280z are the same door panels and they could be fitted on 240z. However, door armrest and passenger pull handle location will be problems.

You either stay with 280Z type door handle/armest and drille holes on door sheet metal. Or install 240Z armrest and pull handle, but there are few holes showing.

Now 1976 late to 1978 type is totally different. It is biger, clips holes do not match at all. Farthermore, door lock-rod-hole is about 1 inchi off.

Classic Datsun Sells incredible door skin kit, which look just like factory ones with chome molding.

You know how picky I am. They are very good. If you spent $150 -250 for a set of used door panel, I would go and get them re-covered.

Esprist, Thank you for the good information. Actually, I purchased my blue door skins with the chrome strips from Les at Classic Datsun and they look great! That's why I've been so picky trying to find solid door panel boards to mount the new skins on. Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth to modify 280Z door panels. I think I will continue my search for a pair of solid 240Z door panel boards.

Thanks again for the help guys.