IGNORED

Ride height

woton121

I know this has been discussed before, and I did do a search, but I am looking for a quick answer please.

I replaced the rear struts and kept the same springs, but now it looks like the ride height has increased.

Is this right?

Dosen't the car ride on the springs and not the struts?

Why would the height chage if I am correct. Am I wrong as usual?

Gas struts add ride height, the force that is trying to extend the strut is inside the spring but not contained by it. So the spring works on the same structure as the strut. If the strut is charged, it essentially adds to the spring rate. If it is not, then it doesn't.

Edited by jmortensen

Thanks guys.

I guess I can live with it like this, I did like it lower, but did not like the tire rub on hard corners, so I am hoping to have a better ride overall.

Is there a place to find the torque specks for the suspension on a 71?

A wiki or something?

QUICK!!!!!

But seriously, I am curious what strut cartridge, or shock, you installed. Were they KYB-GR2? The reason I ask is, I am going to put new shocks in my car but want to retain the stock ride height with the stock reproduction springs. I have been told by my very old and experienced Datsun mechanic that the KYB-GR2 struts are the low pressure KYB shocks and should not increase the ride height. My other option is to get Konis which are just oil shocks which shouldn't affect ride height, but am concerned about getting a super stiff, harsh ride from them.

Edited by AZ-240z

Is there a place to find the torque specks for the suspension on a 71?

A wiki or something?

You can try a manual, a Haynes or the FSM perhaps. How did you tighten the critical fasteners without a torque wrench? I guess some people set everything to German torque spec and hope nothing comes loose.

I installed KYb's I hope they settle down a little.

I havent torqued everythig yet, I was going to do them all at once. I had a manual, its in storage somewhere, guess I need to find it. I was hoping to find info here so I didnt have to look through all the boxes Ugh!:stupid:

You may wish to do the follwing to get the car back down: loosen ALL of the suspension bushing bolts; move the car back and forth about 10' to 15' in each direction until the tires have moved to the "slack position". Then "jounce" the car two or three times, and then roll it back and forth twice more. WHY? Because with the bushing bolts loose, the car will now lower itself to the correct ride height. Once this has been achieved, tighten all the bushing bolts to spec torque. You probably tightened everything with the car jacked up, which is why the ride height is higher. M

QUICK!!!!!

But seriously, I am curious what strut cartridge, or shock, you installed. Were they KYB-GR2? The reason I ask is, I am going to put new shocks in my car but want to retain the stock ride height with the stock reproduction springs. I have been told by my very old and experienced Datsun mechanic that the KYB-GR2 struts are the low pressure KYB shocks and should not increase the ride height.

Dan, the gas units I used with my stock springs were KYB GR-2s. They did raise the ride height as I noted above. The inserts that came out were non-gas Mulhollands. So my personal experience on this car is that your mechanic is wrong.

I was told that the GR-2s are best used with old stock springs to compensate for the 40 years of wear on the springs. I am installing my new rear GR-2s in the morning. The struts I pulled out last weekend were Mullholland - interpart and it was riding nice and low in the rear but I could tell they were not doing thier job when I hit even a modest bump.

I expect the rear to ride a little higher after installation.

John

Dan, the gas units I used with my stock springs were KYB GR-2s. They did raise the ride height as I noted above. The inserts that came out were non-gas Mulhollands. So my personal experience on this car is that your mechanic is wrong.

Thanks, Arne. Yea, the inserts presently in my car are some NOS Mulhollands, and the rears are groaning whenever the car is driven.

The ride has, also, gotten even more harsh. I am guessing that these have been sitting on the shelf so long that the seals have dried out, and, or, are now binding and causing the groaning noise.

Guess the only option is to get Konis and hope the ride is acceptable and not as harsh and jarring as with the Mulhollands.

I'll let you know when it happens.

Dan