IGNORED

New stainless bumpers arrived

cozye

The back of them is painted black. They did spot weld the brackets on same as the original. I did a quick test fit with the brackets that I made and they are very close. I would suspect that on a 240 they will fit right on the money. The bumpers I made my brackets off of were bent up a little so I anticipated some minor adjustments. Close enough for me that washer or two will space it out perfectly.

The also came with the bolts for the rear sides to go through the quarter panel, and nuts for all the brackets too.

I'll definitely take pics once they are mounted, but it will be 2 or 3 months I would guess, as I'm not mounting them again until paint is completed.

They are very shiny, just like chrome. I held up the chrome bar off my 240 bumper up to it and it looked the same. If it hadn't been night time I would have taken a pic of them outside. Maybe I'll carry one up to the garage under the lights and take another pic soon.

Would ultimately like to know how they hold up over the long term as far as corrosion (i.e. are they truly the high chromium content they claim?). So please keep us posted and congrats on the purchase!

They are stainless, and have a lifetime guarantee against corrosion..

http://www.groupharrington.com/en/page/42/about-bumpers.html

• 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to get the answer to a question about these bumpers, maybe Ron or Coyze could answer it now.

I noticed that these bumpers DO NOT come with the over riders. I want over riders to keep the stock look so I will need to use Chrome over riders. My question is this:

If you had a fairly new chrome bumper and a polished stainless bumper next to each other could you tell the difference?

Thanks (bumpers look great by the way)

John

I am still trying to get the answer to a question about these bumpers' date=' maybe Ron or Coyze could answer it now.

I noticed that these bumpers DO NOT come with the over riders. I want over riders to keep the stock look so I will need to use Chrome over riders. My question is this:

If you had a fairly new chrome bumper and a polished stainless bumper next to each other could you tell the difference?

Thanks (bumpers look great by the way)

John[/quote']

I believe you may be able to get the overriders with them ? In any case, I did hold up some old chrome next to them and couldn't tell a difference, however it was old chrome. Once I get the bumpers on the car and in some light I'll see if I can find some other chrome items to compare.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some of these bumpers and was told that everything came with them for installation. When I got them they did not have mounting brackets welded to inside of of the bumpers for bolting to frame brackets like my OEM bumpers. Can you weld to these bumpers without damaging the chrome? Thanks for any help.

I bought some of these bumpers and was told that everything came with them for installation. When I got them they did not have mounting brackets welded to inside of of the bumpers for bolting to frame brackets like my OEM bumpers. Can you weld to these bumpers without damaging the chrome? Thanks for any help.

You could, however you would have to polish it again as the steal will turn colors from welding.

However, the bumpers you got were not complete. I would contact them back and have them send you completed bumpers. Mine came complete and ready to mount.

It will be more than just welding and polishing. The weld area will shrink and you will have a slight indentation. Or a gaping hole depending on your welding skills! If you absolutely can't wait for replacements I would investigate 2 part panel adhesive from SEM or 3M.

Derek

It will be more than just welding and polishing. The weld area will shrink and you will have a slight indentation. Or a gaping hole depending on your welding skills! If you absolutely can't wait for replacements I would investigate 2 part panel adhesive from SEM or 3M.

Derek

These are pretty thick (16ga ?), if he knows how to weld it won't be an issue to tack on the mounting plates from the back side.

That being said, and as quick as they ship I wouldn't even attempt it. They can send a label to retrieve the old ones and send you a new set in a week.

Interesting discussion thread. I'll mention this only as an alternative for anyone that will need a set of

Show Quality Stock Bumpers for a 70-72 240Z in the near future.

I have a couple sets of 240Z bumpers that are in pretty good condition, but would need small dents removed and then re-chromed. Which I plan to have done.

The local plating shop wants 4 to 6 weeks to get them done. I'd have to get $1195.00 a pair for them plus actual packaging and shipping costs. Even then, the buyer would have to supply his own rubbers ;-) So they would be a couple hundred more than the SS reproductions.

On the plus side - re-chromed bumpers will actually have better chrome on them than OEM {which wasn't too hot to begin with}. They would be "Stock" and you'd know for sure what the total cost would be for a show quality set.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks all for the feedback. I did contact the company and actually asked for a refund. Their response for the whole situation was inappropriate and provided me with a nonsensical solution. I had the bumpers in hand over the winter before installing them so I can't file a complaint on EBay or Paypal which I accept responsibility for. I liked the bumpers so much as they are nice that I will have to come up with a solution. Wish I found this forum first:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-258203--.html

Edited by gartenman
additional info