IGNORED

Fuel Starvation???

SSuspect

Actually, Tim, I wired it into the original electric fuel pump wiring which comes from the b/w wire. I went from the ign. sw. wire where it connects with the green fuel pump wire to the Holley oil pressure sw. and back to the original green fuel pump wire right at the inline fuseholder in that circuit. Works good, but for some inexplicable reason when I had my short this fall the fuse didn't blow??? Still trying to figure that one out. The green wire melted completely in half by the connector filling the car with smoke. Exciting to say the least seeing as I was driving, shall we say, aggresively. If I hadn't been with Darrel the car would probably still be up on the Devil's Gulch road (thanks again, Darrel).

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Pop's Z

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Now I am thoroughly frustrated (not because of your post)! I picked up a new switch from NAPA and I have the SAME PROBLEM! Pump runs fine with the key in the "on" and "start" position, but once it starts, the FP cuts off! 13+ volts is present at the switch, but SOMETHING is keeping the switch from opening. Maybe it is the T or something - crazy! Has to be something simple!

I hate to ask this Mike, but could you look at the attachment above and can you tell me if your routing is the same? It sounds like I have the same setup, but I want to make sure. If it is not the same, would it be possible for you to make a quick drawing of your connection path?

I am going to put the car back up in the air and trace the lines from the pump back up (gives me a reason to change the rear filter out anyway). MAYBE something is reversed, but I am not seeing it.

Auto wiring is not my strong point. Stereos = yes. Mechanical = no. This is probably a simple problem, but it is killing me!

Thanks again!

Tim

Tim, I'm sorry, but there's no way for me to draw a picture and transfer it to this forum. My wiring is the same as your picture. I ran a wire from the C just like it appears. I ran another to the starter solenoid from N just like it appears. I ran the wire from NO just like it appears. I did utilize the existing pump wiring in the car so I basically interrupted the NO line (b/w wire to green wire) which meant the original wiring allowed the pump to run all the time when the ignition sw. was on even with the motor not running...very dangerous. The green pump wire was then run from the C terminal. I know this sounds complicated, but your problem is due to the fact that in the "run position" you got no juice. Are you running the N wire to the solenoid and not the starter? If you are running to the starter it won't work. Unfortunately I'm up here and your down there. Hands on would help. My dash is out and I'll try to figure this out vis the b/w-gr wire thing and let you know. Check out this subject in the forums by "beandip". He had a fairly lucid explanation of the wiring.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Pop's Z

Thanks Mike. Your explanation does make sense. I am using the factory fuel pump wiring (Green & Blk/Wht) also.

My problem is that all of this is connected as it should be and I still have the issue. I have gone through a lot of the forum posts about this.

I am going to get under the car and trace everything from the pump forward and go through everything again. I have time to do this.

I am just going to bypass the oil pressure switch and install a toggle switch for now that will allow me to cut the pump from inside the car. That way, I can move it around as needed until I get the issue fixed.

No time to get to the dash today... Derailed by "honey-do's" again! LOL

Well...

All I can say is "Third Time (or switch) Is A Charm!"...

I double checked EVERYTHING and all looked correct.

Went back to Napa and returned the switch and got another. Came home, hooked it up and guess what??? Yep - everything works as it should!

So, when all is said and done, I was right the first time I hooked everythign up and lightning (mechanical failure) struck twice!

What can you do??? :stupid:

The car is running GREAT! Still did not get the dash out, but I will this week.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Tim