IGNORED

Rear Bumper Ideas

DjHoon90

Ive been toying with an idea in my head.

Id like to get some feedback if possible.

The other day i removed the rear bumper from my 72 240 and was AMAZED at how good it looks without one.

But i thought it would look cool to put two small vertical bars with little spacer bars to bring it out a few inches where the bumper bolt holes go, Kind of like the AC cobra.

What do you guys think?

modelpicture.php?id=9067

I like how t-bars look, but a couple things come to mind:

1. Is it legal in your state to run like that?

Florida would be (to my knowledge) no, but NC would be ok... Not sure about California.

2. If you get rear ended...

I know the original bumper wouldn't protect much, but it would protect. Also, if you were simply running w/o original equipment it might be easier for the insurance adjusters to deny your total claim by stating "if you had a bumper, the damage would be less. This damage is YOUR fault..."

Edited by zbane

Personalization is just that - making changes to your car to suit your sense of taste and expression. The Cobra is a fine example of some minimal design elements for street use that do not compete with its race heritage. But, look closely at the Cobra - there are no indentations or other features on the body to accomodate bumpers.

With that said, our 240Z's were designed for wrap-around "bumpers", even though they provide little more protection than the nerf bars on the Cobra. Look at your fenders and you will see the holes and depressions in the rear fenders that must be attended to if the bumpers is removed. The same is true for the front bumper. Even the rear facia is not really designed to be naked and would probably need a bit of attention.

Not that my approach is perfect but here is a thought for you. I am going with a smoothed rear bumper - no holes, no rubber, no bumper guards, no over-riders. It is being painted body color for a monochrome look (same treatment for the front). I like the horizontal line the bumper adds to to the rear facia / valance area and I do not have to worry about cleaning up major body panels to remove the provisions for the bumpers.

The car is not yet back from the paint shop so I don't have pictures to post. Hopefully within a couple of weeks.

Just a thought - but do what YOU like for your car and not what others say is right. Opinions are like belly-buttons, everyone has one.

Jim

I am refreshing my 260z and do not know what to do about my bumpers. The side filler for the front and back are damaged but the center ones are good. Those parts are available new but I am not sure I want to put that much money into those parts. I was thinking about pulling the bumpers in closer to the fenders a thereby eliminating the need for the fillers. I would leave the side rubber on the bumpers. Any opinions????

If djhoon90 is willing to redo all the fenders and valances...I think his idea would look good...legal, I don't know.

I'm w/ JFA. All custom work should be in the ideal world "original" & would depend completely on your taste. However, artistic judgement adds rules & regulations established by centuries of the greats. Talking what the bumpers do with the lines of the car can be standardized but there are quite a few variations.

Try your designs in Photoshop & post for us!

I'm not a fan of the bumpers on the 260Z and 280Z. I'm on the lookout for a 260Z or 280Z project car and one of my first mods will be the elimination of these appendages. I'm thinking about front and rear covers such as the "Stage II" or "Stage III" kits that MSA carries.

My front bumper is already gone, and I'm in the process of smothing out the bumper pockets and blinker / running light holes using a spoiler like shown in the g nose z pic above. I got my hands on a later radiator which is taller, this makes the lower tank hang below the core support so the splash pan had to go. I welded up some brackets and tubing to fit behind the air dam and under the rad tank to serve as a serogate bumper.

I'm still up in the air about the arse end, and find myself sitting behind the car and staring at the bumper and trying to figure out an elegant solution to this problem. the bumper is ugly, but it is sort of the best they could have done. I'm not a fan of the boxie tail lights or the whole flat panel for that matter. Add to this, the fact that this is the view that most other drivers get of the car, and it begs for attention.

I haden't thought of the "T" bar idea, but it makes sense, if for no other reason than to keep those long tail pipes from becomming a soarer thumb than they already are. I plan on drinking some beer behind the car tonight, perhaps I'll take a pic or two and try some Photoshop cropping to see it what would look like. WE shall see, anyone tackle this task? If so please post a pic.

I haden't thought of the "T" bar idea, but it makes sense, if for no other reason than to keep those long tail pipes from becomming a soarer thumb than they already are. I plan on drinking some beer behind the car tonight, perhaps I'll take a pic or two and try some Photoshop cropping to see it what would look like. WE shall see, anyone tackle this task? If so please post a pic.

Ok, the blending of the rear end to be one smooth finish is all Italian like Michelangelo. That’s how I did mine. The clean lines are divine.

post-23475-14150813919364_thumb.jpg

Edited by venus

Those 'things' on the Cobra are the pick up points to get the car off the ground during a race, front also. I'm sure some one has a photo of the lever tool in use.

Bonzi Lon

I remember those. Like you say, they're not 'bumpers'. They're pads for the 'Quickjack'. The only pic I could find of them in use is of the front.

k2bc43.jpg