IGNORED

turn signal problem

Robin260z

As I recall, both of mine are on the driver's side, but I have a '78 280, not a 260. One is near the steering column, and the other is located on the side wall next to the driver's left leg, up high. I think the one near the steering column is for the turn signals.

Mine is a 78 also, Dave you have a 260 no? I just assumed that the 260 would be similar to the 280 because the dashes are the same.

Mine is a 240Z but the project car is an early 260Z.

I don't know anything at this point. My brain is shot and after coming this close to LOSING everything yesterday (Virus and hacker attack that cost me $240 to fix in 4 hours) I'm about to give up.

Dave

As Dave said, it's relatively simple to rebuild a turn signal-it's even simpler to just buy a reconditioned one from him, and you know it will work.

However, you may first want to play around with the hazard SWITCH to make sure it is fully disengaged. I know that after turning on the hazard switch (on my late '73) I really have to mess around with it to get the turn signals to work. The electrical signal appears to travel to or through this switch unless it is in the exactly correct position.

Grat advice on the Hazard switch. I too have had those exact issues on mine. I gotta wiggle it or cycle it a few times for the blinkers to work correctly again.

The OP is in the Netherlands s I don't think he'll wanna go the other route. Shipping's a bich and pricey.

Dave

thanks for the advices and help.

My hazard flasher works ok.

The hazard flasher has nothin to do with turn signal circuit.

The hazard switch does has to do with the turn signal circuit.

When the hazard switch is turned off there's are relay inside that is been made to supply the turn signal a 12 volt +.

when the hazard switch is turned on the, relay is disconnected. so the + provided to the turn signal is open and wont work. thats why you cant give an turn signal when having the hazard lights on.

Today i checked a lot of things with a multimeter. After a lot of measuring i concluded that the hazard switch is working ok and the when measuring the connector at the steering collum this one works fin too. So i concluded that i had to be the wire between the connector at the steering collum and the connector at the big connector box.

Then i stopped searching because i had to eat an wanted to go further next weekend.

But before i stopped i decided to do one experiment.

The connector at the steering collum has 3 wires.

the left one is for the left lights. the middle one is for the right lights and th right wire is the providing + wire.

I connected the middel wire with the right at suddenly the turn signal began to flash fine.

When i turned the signal to left and connect the left wire with the right wire the right signal also began to work.

So conclusion; the wiring is ok. The problem is in the turn signal switch. I gues that when i gave signal to right with the switch it is making a short loose with earth. When i measured it, it works well but the contact is not that big enough to let the lights burn

So my plan is to rebuild the turn signal switch as told a few answers above.

I hope this is the probem.

when i rebuild it i would post the results.

thanks al for thinking with.

greetings robin

Edited by Robin260z

You're in Luck Robin. The 3 wire turn signal switch (as apposed to the 6-wire) is much easier to rebuild. It has a sturdy contact plate so no rebending will be needed.

Gently open the tabs, just enough to get the plate off the metal body of the switch. Just clean up the contacts, maybe use a high-grit piece of sandpaper (around 800 grit) to rough up the contact plates and use a very little strip of grease where the ball bearing slides. But do not put grease anywhere else.

Gently rebend the tabs and reinstall the switch.

Dave

problem solved.

It was the turn signal switch. the contact points in te swich were heavily corrodised.

So i sanded them up and it works fine now.

the job took me about 15 minutes to completely remove the turn signal, repair it, en re-install it.

thanks for the help guys!!

greetings from holland

robin