IGNORED

turn signal problem

Robin260z

hi guys i own a '75 260 2+2

In the front i have 4 watt led turn signals.

On the fenders the original 4 watt lights and in the back the original 21 watt.

When using the emergancy lights or called hazard in english? the lights work fine whith the right rhytm.

Since i bought the car it worked complete but it blinked slow. i'd checked all the watts of the bulbs but they were good.

Now since 1 or 2 weeks the right side isn't working.

when i give signal to left all the lights at the left side burn but not in the right rhytm. sometimes fast then slow then normal and then fast again.

At the right side it isn't working at all when giving turn signal.

Today i bought a new flasher relay, 12 volt/ 21wattx2 + 5 watt with 2 connectors and plugged it in.

This gave a strange result. when giving the turn signal left the bulbs burn constantly. they are not blinking. At right noting happens.

Before switching the old for a new relay, the original one clicked once when giving signal to left, then it stopped and noting burns.

After changing the flasher relay for a new one and testing it, i replaced the old one back, and now i dont even hear a click also when giving signal to right.

I checked the fuses and they are ok.

My guess is when the lamps are burning fine when using the hazard switch there couldn't be anyting wrong with the wiring.

Could there be an issue with the new flasher relay, that it is not the right one ( it was designed for ford but is universal )?

What could happen the problem before chaning the new relay ?

maybe you guys could give me some ideas to look for.

thanx and greetings from holland.

robin

When I swapped out the incandescent bulbs for LEDs, I installed electronic flashers for the hazard lights and turn signals. The lights blink at a normal rate, even with the car off.

I used Bussmann 232 flasher units. I have no idea what is available in Holland, though.

b49f551c-f42c-40f5-a269-638f348e6d66.JPG

First, though, check the voltage at the flasher units to see if you have other problems at hand. Let us know what you find.

• 3 weeks later...

hello guys.

I bought a new electronic flasher unit en the problem is still there.

The strange thing is that all the lights blink when i turn the hazard switch on.

when i gave signal to left all the lights work. But when i give signal to right then wont work.

When i gave signal to right i can hear the flasher click ones en then anymore. sometimes is clicks very slow for a few times and then it stops.

what i have checked already is the turn signal switch. this is working ok.

I measured the resistance between the connector at the switch and the first connector in the big connectorblock at the passenger side. The result was that when is measure the left wire at the switch and the left wire at the connector there was 0 resistance. The same for the right wires.

When i measure the left wire at the switch and the right at the connector there was also 0 resistance. Otherwise it is the same.

I've already checked both the electrical drawings of the hazard system and the turn signal system but i cant find the problem.

maybe someone else has a suggestion?

Sounds like the Turn signal switch may be in need of a rebuild. There are write-ups around here explaining how to rebuild them. Quite simple to do, just work over a towel so as to not lose parts. Clean the contacts, possibly bend the right turn signal contact back down where it needs to be, and use only a Very small amount of Dielectric grease on the contact where the ball bearing slides back and forth.

After 36 years, things wear out and need to be rebuilt. The electronic flasher should take care of the rest. you can use a 3 pin flasher if you ground the neg. terminal. Or just use a regular 3 bulb electronic flasher.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40600

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23325 (Post #7 and on)

Dave.

So Am I understanding that you replaced BOTH flasher units? not sure about the 260 but my 280 has two one for turn and one for hazards.

hello guys.

I bought a new electronic flasher unit en the problem is still there.

The strange thing is that all the lights blink when i turn the hazard switch on.

when i gave signal to left all the lights work. But when i give signal to right then wont work.

When i gave signal to right i can hear the flasher click ones en then anymore. sometimes is clicks very slow for a few times and then it stops.

what i have checked already is the turn signal switch. this is working ok.

I measured the resistance between the connector at the switch and the first connector in the big connectorblock at the passenger side. The result was that when is measure the left wire at the switch and the left wire at the connector there was 0 resistance. The same for the right wires.

When i measure the left wire at the switch and the right at the connector there was also 0 resistance. Otherwise it is the same.

I've already checked both the electrical drawings of the hazard system and the turn signal system but i cant find the problem.

maybe someone else has a suggestion?

Yes, one easy to get to left of the steering wheel under the dash the other a PITA, I think above the steering column close to the firewall. So did Robin260z replace both with electonic flashers?

Edited by grantf

As I recall, both of mine are on the driver's side, but I have a '78 280, not a 260. One is near the steering column, and the other is located on the side wall next to the driver's left leg, up high. I think the one near the steering column is for the turn signals.