IGNORED

Head or not to head...that is the question

studioti

First my disclaimer: I've used the search tool for "head" "headers" "exhaust manifold"... and believe me i've read 4 pages of threads.

My situations is as follows. I have a newly rebuilt F54 block flat top piston with n42 head (ported and polished). Stock cams. Stock exhaust (so far). Before i put the motor back into the car i'd like to finalize a decision on whether to put a header on or not.

The main dilemma is the noise. I understand the performance gains, but i've read a few bits here and there about how people regret putting one on because of the increased exhaust noise.

My goal: To have a street use, quick Z. To have an exhaust note that is sporty, but note "ricer" nor droning in the cabin. My Z is purely a weekend car, not a daily driver. Cars i've owned in the past that have these characteristics w/o the LOUD exhaust; BMW M3 stock, Honda S2000 stock....and yes, when i was 18 i had a ricer Honda Civic Si (headers, exhuast...the whole deal, but we were all young once...right?)

Exhaust packages i'm considering:

• MSA premium exhaust for STOCK manifolds. It has a custom y pipe and goes all the way to muffler--This to me seems to be the safest bet.

• MSA 6-2-1 Header connected to MSA premium exhaust--This is definitely the most expensive

• MSA 3-2 Header connected to the MSA turbo exhaust--This id definitely the cheapest

Any thoughts, suggestions, concerns appreciated. Thanks

I think headers CAN be civilized. I say that only because my stock Saturn SL2 and my stock Miata NA both have headers and don't sound obnoxious, but I think they also have conventional baffle-type mufflers. On the other hand, when I pulled the PO's obnoxious headers off a '77 Suburban and put on manifolds, it made a WORLD of difference! OH, GOD, the beast was finally QUIET! So I guess it could go either way. Maybe you should seek out fellow Z owners with header systems and decide for yourself how their systems sound.

I have had cars with headers and otherwise "stock" exhausts that were no louder than the same car with a standard manifold. (My 72 Pinto didn't change at all from stock manifold to header, but...) If the header isn't leaking it shouldn't make that much difference.

The MSA exhaust systems tend to be loud, and I suspect that any of the ones you listed will be loud, with or without a header. I just added a glass-pack to my MSA system and it made a positive difference, but it is still not a "quiet car" by any stretch. At idle it seems very quiet, but when you rev the engine it still screams. (Actually I think it sounds MORE like a race car than before, but whatever)

By the way, the MSA system that I have is the 3-2 with a turbo muffler. (I am cheap.) I have not driven the car since the addition of the glass pack, because it is salt season here, but it sounds better in the garage.

Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend that you use band style clamps, instead of the old U-Bolt clamps, because they seal much better. Most of my initial exhaust noise was actually leaks between the pipe fittings.

I have an MSA 6 into one on my car. It is not too loud, but could be made a bit quieter by putting on a different muffler. I believe most of the noise that is there is due to the muffler. I'm also in the process of applying carpet padding onto the rear of the interior plastic panels to block out both exhaust and road noise. I think this will be worth the 2-3 lbs gained on the car. The panels no longer have that "tinny" plastic sound.

FastWoman and Walter Moore, Thanks for the insight. I think i won't be totally convinced until I hear the exhaust I want in person.

But just for sh*ts and giggles... who has a car that sounds like this?... AWESOME

If i'm not mistaken, that's a European Z ;)

I have a ceramic coated 6-into-1 squareport header, 2.5" single piece exhaust pipe, back thru a Schucks $20 Turbo muffler (Raptor Muffler)

That one is way cleaner and higher revving than mine, but here's a few samples of mine......

I wish I had a better Sound bite for ya.

here's a doughnut in the same car, about 4500 rpm???

6500 RPM's with NO Muffler

My 260Z with 6-into-1 header and 2" pipe thru a repro Ansa muffler (tip)

and Bluestreak resinator in the middle (2 feet after the header)

Dave

For reference here is a clip of mine going up through 3 gears with stock e88 head and cam, SU carbs, 3.0 liter stroker, pace setter 6-2-1 headers, 18" resonator and turbo muffler, 2.5 inch pipe.

It's very quiet around town, almost too quiet. It doesn't wake up until you put your foot in it. Even then, as you can hear from the video, it's quite tame.

Edited by steve91tt

• 4 months later...

I had an Ansa exhaust on my '71 with the stock manifold. It sounded exactly like Dave's 4th clip above (the before restore clip). I loved that exhaust - but I was also 20 years old at the time and enjoyed the "look at me" exhaust.

I now have the "standard" exhaust on my '71 and do think it's a little quiet. If I could find an Ansa tip I'd remove the rear muffler and install that...It's true that the more things change the more they stay the same...