IGNORED

72' 240z Sunroof ideas?

DjHoon90

Hello, Im the proud new owner of a 72' 240z that i picked up for 900$

Im going to be restoring it and the only thing that worrys me is the sunroof.

What are my options as far as replacing it, or filling it? Putting glass in it?

I would love to hear what some other owners have done.

Thanks,

Dane

Welcome DJ

My suggestion is to have it covered witha piece of sheet metal and never have any worries of water leaking in. These aftermarket hack jobs are so problematic and not worth the headache. If you restore it and it leaks all you will want to do is get rid of it.

Welcome DJ

My suggestion is to have it covered witha piece of sheet metal and never have any worries of water leaking in. These aftermarket hack jobs are so problematic and not worth the headache. If you restore it and it leaks all you will want to do is get rid of it.

Is it a good idea to try to find a donor roof? or will a formed piece of sheet metal work? I do have access to some pretty skilled body workers.

Thanks for the quick response

Is it a good idea to try to find a donor roof? or will a formed piece of sheet metal work? I do have access to some pretty skilled body workers.

Thanks for the quick response

It would take you forever to get the curvature correct with a hand formed piece of metal - and then it still would not be right.

Follow Carl's advice below and get a donor roof.

I know that you are looking for a local one, but I have one in Houston if you run out of luck.

It would take you forever to get the curvature correct with a hand formed piece of metal - and then it still would not be right.

Follow Carl's advice below and get a donor roof.

I know that you are looking for a local one, but I have one in Houston if you run out of luck.

Thanks!, looks like im gonna be searching around here for awhile, but if it comes down to it, im sure we could work something out with shipping involved.

Thanks,

Dane

I saw a 77 or 78 280Z in the San Bernardino Pick A Part last Friday but you know how quickly things can be gone at the self service yards.......

I guess the best thing to do is just call around local pick-a-parts and salvage yards.

Thanks for the tip!

I had a unit like this on my 72 Z for about 15 yrs without a hitch - no leaks and I lived in the Pacific N. West. The thing was a treat as it simply slid back to expose the sky. I had a lexan front lip that also kept the noise down when speeds got excessive. Man I miss that car. This isn't the same company but mine was imported from Europe as well. http://www.slidingragtops.com/

I had a unit like this on my 72 Z for about 15 yrs without a hitch - no leaks and I lived in the Pacific N. West. The thing was a treat as it simply slid back to expose the sky. I had a lexan front lip that also kept the noise down when speeds got excessive. Man I miss that car. This isn't the same company but mine was imported from Europe as well. http://www.slidingragtops.com/

That is a pretty dawg gone good idea! I mean you could get one of these deals for the cost of repairs for sure! It looks like it could be a very unique customization.

If I lived in So. Cal., I would definitely consider one, but in Houston - no way! Too Hot and Too Humid! :cool:

Guys, it's not necessary to quote the prior message every time you choose to respond. Quote it if there's something you want to emphasize, or address specifically, but quoting to enter a reply.... try the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page, or the Post Reply button.

E

If you know someone who is good with an English Wheel he would be able to make it look like the factory piece. It could be quite pricey. Using one of those is a true art but it will look as if it was never touched. Good Luck