IGNORED

What I Hope The Next ZCON has:

hls30.com

WHat would you do to get more S30 interaction in ZCON?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. WHat would you do to get more S30 interaction in ZCON?

• 1) More S30 specific items in the convention Store
    • 2) Display Early Nissan documentation
    • 3) Have a Retro Z Design Contest
    • 4) Invite more members of S30 history to the Convention
    • 5) Have Model Specific cruizes through town.
    • 6) Run an S30 Trivia contest every day-answers on the Documentation Display!
    • 7) USE VIN numbers to Raffle prizes-Randomly!
    • 8) Name that Part-identification contest
    • 9) A Spindle Pin Pulling contest!
    • 10) I know my Z contest-trivia contest for owners of each model-with one overall winner

This is where you get to tell me from the perspective of an S30 owner what ZCON needs/has been lacking.

I know that the last several years there have been way too few things in the auctions and store for S30s-Last year there were only two items that were S30 specific-what a crock! That was only because they were all (in terms of S30 items)that were donated-I will approach our sponsors that carry them specifically for S30 goodies-S30 owners need more more interesting stuff in the convention store!

One of my pet projects is to create a safe display of early literature in the convention store and at the car show-I have a reasonable collection, and have had the conversation with several other members (whose' collections make mine look anemic) about doing this for several years.

What would would you do to even the field?

An announcement that 2012 will be on the West Coast. That would increase the S30 content a lot, as this is where the majority of still existing S30s in the US are.

Yeah, I know, ain't gonna happen. There don't seem to be any clubs on the Left coast that are willing to man up and sponsor it here.

There don't seem to be any clubs on the Left coast that are willing to man up and sponsor it here.

Yep, that is the problem Arne. Maybe California will host one again some day, but none of the clubs in OR, WA or Vancouver BC appear to be interested.

-Mike

So I guess you wouldn't have driven or towed a Z more than 1300 miles to go to 2010 ZCON? Eight of us did from New England and many more drove down from Canada but Seattle to Phoenix is an added 200 miles.

I see several options:

1) drive or tow your Z

2) fly to the convention

3) get a closer Z club to host a convention

4) wait for pictures to be posted of other Z folks enjoying themselves

There is no east vs west coast bias in selecting convention locations but rather a limited number of clubs willing to step up and take on the task of putting one on.

I'd fly to Seattle if you held one there.

I will say I have always respected the efforts of those who have gone before us, and now-in the throws of it-I respect them even more...

I have volunteered at three of the last four(I didn't make it to Texas because of unexpected surgery) and will actually volunteer more at future conventions because of this experience.

I have a couple of clubs who have contacted me to find out what it takes to host-and I gave them front row seats to the process-so once next years is locked in, hopefully there will be a list of clubs waiting for their opportunity to show off their neighborhood, and have 400 or so of their closest Z friends over for a visit!

I guess with all of the car shows in the Oregon/Washington area, Motorsport Auto putting on their mutual admiration bash, and a website selling members cars, and the too busy repainting/repackaging Hotwheels trade, no one feels the need bad enough to do the deed!

Is Phoenix "west enough"?
I'd consider Phoenix. Or most anywhere in Oregon, Washington or California. Also Vegas, Reno, Denver, Salt Lake or Boise. Any of those are "west enough".
So I guess you wouldn't have driven or towed a Z more than 1300 miles to go to 2010 ZCON? Eight of us did from New England and many more drove down from Canada but Seattle to Phoenix is an added 200 miles.
I could see doing that much. But 2500 or more one-way is a bit much.
I see several options:

1) drive or tow your Z

2) fly to the convention

3) get a closer Z club to host a convention

4) wait for pictures to be posted of other Z folks enjoying themselves

1. I'd be driving. No trailers for me.
  2. Flying is no good for me. No point if I can't bring my Z.
  3. Finding a West Coast club willing to devote the resources to this is obviously the issue.
  4. I try not to look at all the pictures. It always depresses me.

There is no east vs west coast bias in selecting convention locations but rather a limited number of clubs willing to step up and take on the task of putting one on.
It was not my intent to imply that there is any bias. The issue is and has been that the clubs on this side of the country aren't interested in doing it. I figure there are any number of reasons, but I can't speak for other clubs for certain. But I think part of the problem is that early Zs are too common out here, so lots of owners don't feel the need to join or participate in a club. Most of the clubs I've heard of simply don't have the devoted membership to pull this off.
I will say I have always respected the efforts of those who have gone before us, and now-in the throws of it-I respect them even more...

I have volunteered at three of the last four(I didn't make it to Texas because of unexpected surgery) and will actually volunteer more at future conventions because of this experience.

I have a couple of clubs who have contacted me to find out what it takes to host-and I gave them front row seats to the process-so once next years is locked in, hopefully there will be a list of clubs waiting for their opportunity to show off their neighborhood, and have 400 or so of their closest Z friends over for a visit!

I guess with all of the car shows in the Oregon/Washington area, Motorsport Auto putting on their mutual admiration bash, and a website selling members cars, and the too busy repainting/repackaging Hotwheels trade, no one feels the need bad enough to do the deed!

Perhaps. Although, MSA's bash was a virtual non-event in 2010, and I'm getting a little bored with the local shows. Not much driving involved, just a sit-n-git with the same cars, every year.

<sigh>OK, I'm done complaining now. Here's hoping that this year's ZCON is well attended, fun and successful for all. As for me, I think I'll go re-paint a couple of Hot Wheels....

So I guess you wouldn't have driven or towed a Z more than 1300 miles to go to 2010 ZCON?

No, I wouldn't.

Eight of us did from New England and many more drove down from Canada but Seattle to Phoenix is an added 200 miles.

Congratulations. Not all of us have two weeks to devote to driving that far and back.

I see several options:

2) fly to the convention

Yes, I have done that the past two years. The comments were related to HOSTING the convention however.

No one said anything about east vs west coast bias. Arne and I both acknowledged the problem is getting a club on the west coast to host.

-Mike

How about separate lines for checking in to the convention? Those who have pre-registered and those wishing to register on the spot. The last thing I wanted to do after the 10hr drive last year, was to wait 2 more hrs to register, Which I didn't the first day. Other than that, all was good last year!

As always there will have to be a track day. The first ZCON was hosted by the Z Car Club of Colorado in '88(?). Not sure if they had a track event as it was held in Aspen, maybe woody creek(?), then we held another in '95/95(?), we had the stapleton airport runways to use back then.

I'm sure you will have Road Atlanta this year.

If we ever put our hat back into the ring, it would be nice to host the 25th annual(2012?) ZCON. And we have a new 2.5 mile road course to use which the ZCCC is part owner.

(broken record) www.highplainsraceway.com