IGNORED

replace fuses? SFE fuses?

argniest

I want to replace all my old fuses in my 1978 Z car to eliminate any potential problems caused with the old fuses. However, I was told that SFE fuses are the correct ones to get for it. However, I checked all kinds of stores and most of them only have ACG fuses, which are longer than the fuses in my fuse box.

And also places like Napa and Farm and Fleet only have like 3A, 5A, 7A, 9A, 14A SFE fuses. But they didnt have and dont think the 10A or 15A SFE fuses are even made.

What gives???????????? what kind of fuses do I need for my Z car?

Thanks

SFE fuses are different lengths according to the fuse ratings (size rejection). ACG fuses are all the same length (1.25 in) regardless of fuse rating. I didn't find it in the BE section of the FSM, but I think that you'll find that the fuses are all the same length, and therefore are ACG.

I bought ACG fuses, and they are definatley longer than the few fuses I have pulled out of the Z car. And when I held an ACG fuse up to the z car fuse box, they looked dangerously close if I had inserted two of the ACG fuses into two fuses next to each other in the box. Also the current old fuses in the z car all say 32v on them. And the new ACG fuses say 230v on them I believe (sorry dont have them in front of me right now)

I cant believe I have to buy special fuses for the car, and that ACG arent the right ones. I just wasnt expecting that. I am not sure what I am going to do about this right now since no one around here has 10A,15A SFE fuses, but I definaetly want all new fuses in the car. Hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

I was suprised to find my existing z car fuses to be shorter than the ACG fuses. But then again, the old z car fuses could be 33 years old. And some of them have rust inside them, and some are coated in white or greenish corrosion!!!!! I was reading on this forum about changing all the fuses, which is what got my attention in the first place. So now I reallllllllllllllllly want to get new ones.!

Edited by argniest

Well the FSM doesnt say anything about what type of fuses to use. Im not trying to make it difficult. LOL I just simply want to know what the correct types, brand of fuses I need. The ACG fuses from all autoparts stores seem too long. Someone on here must know the correct replacement fuses.

The SFE fuses as I have seen online, are all different lengths based on amps. Well, all the fuses in my Z fuse box look like the same size. And they are all shorter than ACG fuses...so what to do? This is a catch 22.

In all honesty, yes, you are making it difficult. I took a few seconds to look at my fuse box with a measuring tape. From that and the link I put in my second response, I can select the correct type fuse. Try it.

Welllllllll OK mr. serious. :classic: How long are the fuses in your fuse box? Can you give me some specifics to go by here. It would help me.

I looked at those charts too (thanks for sending them), and the ACG fuses are longer than every single fuse in my fuse box. Why is that do you figure? Maybe because all the fuses in my z car are original and were made 33 years ago, and maybe they dont make them like that any more.

Im not going to stick a square peg in a round hole. I would think someone must make fuses the same length as what my z car needs.

Also, a z mechanic told me to use SFE fuses. BUt after reading the chart you sent, that doesnt make sense to me. Because SFE fuses are different lengths. So yeah, I am just trying to figure out what is going on here, and I thought maybe some other Z owner would be able to tell me that, yes, in fact the old fuses were in fact shorter.

It doesnt look safe to me to stick these new ACG fuses in the car, they look too long. So I am concerned about it being a safety issue, which is why I am out here asking for advice in the first place :)

Edited by argniest

Here are some Fuse Box pictures from a 1978 280z to help you out. Notice the ruler for your reference.

IMHO - buy AGC style fuses, clean the Fuse box connections, Install correct Fuse in correct place with dielectric grease. Relax.

post-7312-1415081341539_thumb.jpg

post-7312-14150813416059_thumb.jpg

post-7312-14150813416662_thumb.jpg

post-7312-14150813417071_thumb.jpg

post-7312-14150813417471_thumb.jpg

Here are some Fuse Box pictures from a 1978 280z to help you out. Notice the ruler for your reference.

IMHO - buy AGC style fuses, clean the Fuse box connections, Install correct Fuse in correct place with dielectric grease. Relax.

Thank for the pictures and answers. I ended up getting this job done tonight. I bought a bunch of fuses, of ACG and SFE. After I saw the SFE fuses, I could see that they were not going to fit into the 1978 fuse box. OK, will maybe one or two of them might fit, but as the amps went up they got longer. That is how they are designed I learned today.

Sooooooooooooo, I ended up buying a bunch of ACG fuses. Once I pulled out all the old ones, they were definately shorter than the new ACG fuses. But after disconnecting the battery, I was able to start popping in new ones to see how they fit. While they seemed longer, I realized after doing this, that the center of the fuse box has a plastic wall in it. Which protects both sides from each other. I didnt notice that the night before LOL

When you dont have a lot of experience in these matters, and you are a detailed oriented person like me, when I notice differences like that (shorter vs longer) it makes me a little nervous. Maybe I am too paranoid, but hey, I dont want to do anything bad to my baby.

After removing all the fuses, I sprayed some deoxit on all the connections, carefully, then buzzed them with a soft brush in my dremel. The fuse box was definately somewhat corroded. But now, its nice and shiny and clean.

Some of those old fuses were whitish-greenish, some had rust spots in them, one of them even looked moist in it (although that could have been an illusion). So I really wanted to replace all of them as soon as possible.

Oh well, I am also in the middle of cleaning up all the important connections, with deoxit, and also taking off and cleaning up many of the grounds in the engine area.

I really feel like I have to do all this before I do anything else. Because thanks to people on this forum, they have made me aware of how important (VERY important) it is to start with clean connections. And without clean connections, all kinds of whacky and sometime bad problems can and will happen to the old girl. Running Lean, Running Rich crazy electrical problems....

I mean if you have voltage drop because of numerous corroded connections through out a 33 year old car, ITS GOING TO HAVE SOME BAD EFFECTS SOMEWHERE ON THE CAR!!!!! So this all makes logical sense to clean everything that I can, in the connections.

OH YEAH, I can easily pop out the fuses and put a little diaelectric grease in each area, if you really think that is necessary. I just dont want to get messy with it, and have it slopped all over the place in the fuse box :)

Edited by argniest

Glad to see that you are on the path to recovery. Yeah, that dielectric grease is to be used as a light coating only. Dielectric grease is not a conductor of electricity and allot of guys are using WD40. It cleans, protects against moisture and lubricates connectors.

In addition to what you ar doing, I try to install my fuses wit the flat side toward me, so I can see the reflected light. It helps to see if the fuses is burned. Be careful when you instal or remove the fusebox cover!

as for WD-40, it's not designed to clean electrical contacts, like DeOxit is. WD stands for "water displacement" as in fixing up a flodded distributor or alternator. But because it has some solvent in the formula, it can dissolve certain things, and is a handy household cleaner/lubricant. Consider it as a lubricant, but NOT an electrical contacts cleaner. If you need to degrease electrical connections, there are more appropriate products for that.

Edited by TomoHawk