IGNORED

Power antenna question

mlaw7

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I'd like to ask your thoughts on the best way to lubricate the mast of a stock S30 power antenna to keep it functioning smoothly and eliminate unnecessary wear on the electric motor.

I've considered white lithium grease but it seems that it would leave a noticeable residue when the mast is retracted and extended. I've also considered WD-40 but thought I'd ask what you use and why.

Thanks!

I'd like to ask your thoughts on the best way to lubricate the mast of a stock S30 power antenna to keep it functioning smoothly and eliminate unnecessary wear on the electric motor.

I've considered white lithium grease but it seems that it would leave a noticeable residue when the mast is retracted and extended. I've also considered WD-40 but thought I'd ask what you use and why.

Thanks!

Before anything else, take it aparts, and clean up rusty components inside. High speed grease for your hubs might help.

Also please make sure that your mast is stright. As far as mast itself, I would use silicone type grease. You simply apply it with a paper towel so that it does not get all oily.

Thanks!

Do NOT use WD-40 as a lubricant. It is not a lubricant. Greases will tend to trap dirt.

Search for dry lubricants. DuPont makes a line of them.

I was able to restore my antenna using parts (a new plastic cable & mast) from an oem unit I got from eBay. The motor still wouldn't go after assembling because the brushes were worn or fell out, so I made new brushes using ones from a Ford alternator (I got brushes from NAPA.)

From Dan (240dkw):

Bart, Mark, Koalia,Steve, Arnie and Ron: I ordered two masts from the seller at the Hybridz site on the off chance they were the correct ones. I just received them today and they are the real deal. I asked him how many has left, but have not heard back. Here is the link to the ad

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...l-100s-listed/

and here is the text in the ad.

Nos (New Old stock)

Antenna's ( the part that comes up ,Not the motors)(got a truck load of nos parts these were in there Not sure If they are the for the z just know they are for really old Nissan) x25 in stock $25 each

feel free to pass this along to anyone else. I did a search on the site and picked names that were looking for them.

Dan

Don't use any liquid or grease to lube the mast, use dry graphite powder lube, it will build up on the stage contacts for lubrication, it conducts signal better and won't trap dust or dirt . Actuate the mast up and down a dosen times then wipe off the excess, be sure to clean and lube the guts as percribed above and you are done.