IGNORED

another hazard light question 280z, 1978

doc diel

For the female connectors, use a pipe cleaner or one of those little bristly toothbrushes and Contact Cleaner.

For the male blade-type connections, use a dental tool to scrape large corrosion off then use sandpaper with the dental tool to get it super clean. Flush with Contact Cleaner.

When you are done ALWAYS coat with some Dielectric Grease to prevent future corrosion. BTW.. DO NOT use the Contact Cleaner near paint or plastic - No Bueno.

OK Heath, back to the original topic... I have a '78 and I would first encourage you to acquire the following:

1. Factory Service Manual (FSM)
  2. Fuel Injection Bible
  3. Color Wiring Diagram from Prospero's Garage

Using a Multimeter with the FSM and the Color Wiring Diagram will enable you to accurately trace the circuit and see where it is faulty, cleaning contacts as you go. Replace both Flasher Relay's under the dash too.

• Go HERE for my '78 FSM (PM me if the link is bad).
  • Go HERE for the Fuel Injection Bible.
  • Go HERE for Prospero's Garage.

Edited by ZCurves

The turn signals and hazards are a pain to deal with once they start acting up. I had problems with mine snot working at all after I pulled the dash and found that the light behind the guage was not grounded all the way after I replaced the bulb. Was running in circles trying to fix it. Double check your bulbs along with your connections.

In general, it is a real good idea to service the fuse box and fusible link connections. Many ZCar owners have never touched the fuse box other than to replace a fuse or two, so after thirty-plus years it is likely there is some grime that could prevent a good connection. This simple service will eliminate a whole hassle of electrical issues caused by a poor circuit at the fuse box/fusible link...your lights will be brighter and will certainly work better.

For the fuse box, Disconnect the battery, if you cannot remember when you changed the fuses - throw them all away. Next using some medium sandpaper and a 1/4" dowel, clean the surface of the contacts in the fuse box. Get a small pair of pin-nose pliers and tighten the gap where the fuse rests and then flush with contact cleaner. Finish up by replacing the fuses with new ones that you have lightly coated with dielectric grease.