IGNORED

another hazard light question 280z, 1978

doc diel

Hi all

Great forum...I have really learned alot

I have a problem with my 78, 280z...

When I turn on the hazard switch...only the left side lights work (both interior and exterior)

When I use the turn signal, all lights work appropriately...

I bought a hazard switch off one of the online parts stores...no change in the malfunction.

I bought a new flasher relay...no change...

any suggestions?

thanks

heath

[[i have a problem with my 78, 280z...]]

Yeah, that seems to be going around!! ROFL

I like to think it's just because there are so many of them.

If the turn signal flasher works on one side, it should work for the other. You should check that all of your lights are working on both sides and that the connections are nice and clean. (That is, are any of the lights dim?) If all your lights are bright and working, I'd guess it's actually your turn signal switch at fault. ZsOndabrain (sp?) rebuilds steering column switches on the side, so maybe he could help.

Even the 280's have TWO flashers, one each for the T/S and Hazards.

So, the T/S working properly doesn't automatically mean the Hazards will. But that the problem is in the Hazards indicates a problem with the wiring to the Hazard and not the Combination Switch.

E

Do you have the schematics from the FSM?

Have you examined how the wires are routed?

They must be a corroded or loose connection somewhere, try looking at the connections at the junction block. on my 78 many of the connections failed due to ether corrosion or tampering from PO.

• 1 year later...

post-21452-14150818640761_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of the electrical connection to clean for the left hazard light.

Passenger side, behind radio. There are 2 black plugs. Easiest way to identify the right one is to unplug it and see if the hazard light stops.

Be careful with those connectors. there seem to get looser every time you play with them.

BTW-

Your wiring looks like the same rats-nest I have. Is that usual, or did time really twist up all the wires behind the radio in my car? I figured you could just use a certain untwisting motion, and they will go back to being straight again, so you could tie them up in neat bundles.

Pulling the plug around to I could take the picture made it look more twisted.

Pipe cleaner is a good idea on these connectors.

How do you clean the flat ones that are on plugs (female side) like the water temp sensor, etc.?

Edited by jkeese01